Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,742 Posts
A B-17 is making the rounds these days too according to radio news reports. I heard that it was parked at the little airport in Watsonville Commiefornia the other day. They are charging $300 for a ride and offered a discount for veterans too...

· Silver Bullet member
599 Posts
There was a Japanese salesman,who past away this year, he was visiting Hiroshima when the bomb fell. He survived and they rushed him home to recover with his family, in Nagasaki. The only man in history to survive two nuclear weapons attacks!
Well, I would say if the gentleman was as lucky in business as he was in life, he was one very successful salesman. That is, of course, if he considered himself lucky after what he had endured.

· Registered
327 Posts
I suspected something foul when I first started reading as the cockpit section of the Enola Gay was on display at Dulles last time I was there. As to the B-17....I was able to ride in one a few years ago for a $300 charge. It was the thrill of a lifetime for me. That has always been my favorite bomber. I was allowed to sit in the bombadier seat on take off! FANTASTIC! Read about the Japanese I-400 submarine(s) and what their mission was if you have any doubts about us dropping the bomb.

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts
Takehito,
I would only drop some Jack Daniels on you. And one pair of bibs so when you got drunk you could try a pair on. LOL
Dropping a case or two of JD over me works for me anytime ! the bib part I don't know.... I wouldn't want to get a fancy on 'em and start collecting vintage bibs or anything like that.

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts
Read about the Japanese I-400 submarine(s) and what their mission was if you have any doubts about us dropping the bomb.
Yea right, excellent reason to vaporize a quarter million mostly civlian population in two shots, hardly any strategic military targets in the bomb zone. Your precious A-bomb should have been dropped over the imperial palace if you really wanted to just impress the Japanese military to surrender.

· Registered
309 Posts
one topic not discussed much but applicable here were the firebombing campaigns. total civilian deaths from those far outweighed even the two a-bomb attacks. General Curtis Lemay, the general behind the firebombing campaigns had this to say:

"Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal. "

Not that the japanese military carried itself any better during its own conventional bombing campaign in china, but this doesn't negate the fact that usually civilian deaths are supposed to be minimized in a war, unless you are the aggressor, and that those who directly target them and lose are usually tried for war crimes post war.

· Platinum Bullet member
19,430 Posts
"War is hell" said General Sherman who vowed to "make Georgia howl". I think he may have been one of the first to adopt the idea of making an enemy populace suffer. It is effective in undermining an enemies resolve and Sherman is still hated in the south. I'm afraid there never has been or will ever be a "nice" or "fair" war. In WW2 it seemed that the civilians of all the participants except us suffered greatly.
Anyway, no matter how much we discuss it what's done is done and the folks in charge thought they were doing the right thing at that time and it did bring the war to a close.
Edokko, I'm just glad the bombs caused the war to end soon enough for your Dad to be spared what would have been a sad fate and that as a result you are with us today :)

· Silver Bullet member
599 Posts
"War is hell" said General Sherman who vowed to "make Georgia howl". I think he may have been one of the first to adopt the idea of making an enemy populace suffer. It is effective in undermining an enemies resolve and Sherman is still hated in the south.
I have a customer whos last name is Sherman. He absolutely hates going to Atlanta for his annual company meeting. He had told me how the people in the south were rude and unhelpful, and then it was explained to him exactly why. He pays with cash vs. showing his CC whenever possible:)

· Copper Bullet member
173 Posts
It seems this Thread has gotten way Off Topic but to keep your Quotes from General Sherman correct the quote is "If the people raise a howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war, and not popularity-seeking." He was much more destructive in South Carolina than in Georgia, and in fact Loved Savannah and had no wish to destroy Georgia but to do whatever it takes to end the Carnage. When Ordered to do what was necisarry to bring an end to the war he did just that and what was needed. His quote says it all. I am not a great fan of his but I feel that given the broad hand he was, he performed exactly what he was Ordered to do. He broke the back of the Confederacy and helped end the war. If more wars were fought this way without the Politicians getting in the way, most would not last long!

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts
Edokko, I'm just glad the bombs caused the war to end soon enough for your Dad to be spared what would have been a sad fate and that as a result you are with us today :)
Dawgs, you certainly have a point there ! My dad would have certainly not survived being a new officer in the field if he had graduated the officer's school, an I would'nt have been around tossing empty beer cans and bottles with you.

· Silver Bullet member
51 Posts
Yea right, excellent reason to vaporize a quarter million mostly civlian population in two shots, hardly any strategic military targets in the bomb zone. Your precious A-bomb should have been dropped over the imperial palace if you really wanted to just impress the Japanese military to surrender.
Dresden comes to mind, that was a bombing with NO redeeming value, (other than to prove that a fire storm of magnatude, could destroy everything in it's path, 250,000 to 600,000 dead) where as the two in Japan,(150,000 to 250,000 dead) brought closure to a World War. A fair trade I would say.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Make sure to avoid San Bruno (about 10 miles south) when you drop one on San Francisco.
The Germans built a nuke in early 1945. It was enroute to Japan, when Germany surrendered. A U-Boat captain changed course for the US Navy base at Groton Connecticut and surrendered. Japan had built a missile and was planing to vaporize San Francisco about two weeks after bombs fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The History Channel has an episode about this Axix bomb and their plans for the Bay Area...

· Copper Bullet member
5,390 Posts
The Germans built a nuke in early 1945. It was enroute to Japan, when Germany surrendered. A U-Boat captain changed course for the US Navy base at Groton Connecticut and surrendered. Japan had built a missile and was planing to vaporize San Francisco about two weeks after bombs fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The History Channel has an episode about this Axix bomb and their plans for the Bay Area...
Truman did the right thing. In the end my concern lays with the american boys who would have been sent to fight in japan and die there. The bombs ended the war period and although there may be regrets on both sides Japan did sneak attack the US and we did what was necessary to end the agression. Had Germany or Japan gotten the bombs first I have no dought they would have used them against us without a second thought.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.