Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A local pawn shop has what to my untrained eyes appears to be a unusual Llama pistol.

At first glance it appears to be a long slide 1911 pistol, Serial Number 27425, with checkered wood grips, a Star B style lanyard loop on the left lower side and grip safety. It appears to have a old glossy re-blue finish with some age blemishing. Bore appears excellent. The slide is stamped inside forward of the ejection port with a serial number that LOOKS like 7115 but may just be poorly stamped and incomplete version of the last four digits of the above serial number.

The left side slide is marked:

GABOLONDO Y CIA.ELGOIBAR(ESPANA)
CAL. 9 m/m 38 "LLAMA"

The left side frame has no DOM markings and appears to have been scrubbed prior to refinish.

Right side slide under the ejection port is marked:

"LLAMA" EXTRA

Right side frame behind trigger has script G.C. in circle and most odd, centered between the rear of the right grip and frame spur, a German waffenamt which appears to be a WaA63 rather then the more common fake WaAD20 found on the Bulgarian contract Star B's . Pawn shop has no history on the gun.

Magazine is a unmarked steel mag with witness holes and number indicators for 9 rounds on the left side.

Barrel is unmarked except for 9MM on the top of the chamber.

I can't find mention in my reference books of this pistol with any German markings other then some the commercial Geco stamps. Most likely someone's creative enhancement but I've been wrong before.

I have phone pics but am still trying to figure out out to post them.

Any info or thoughts on this most welcome!

Best regards, Mike

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I have several GECO marked Llamas from WWII era but have never heard of a German waffenampt marked small frame Llama. At one time the importers found having the stamp would enhance the desireability of slow moving merchandise and applied it indiscriminately. That may be the case with your pistol.....but then what if it is real?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you so much AGB-1 for that URL, it shows a gun exactly like my Llama .380 which is in near new condition, round topped, but with what I assumed was a gunsmith hand made replacement safety. The safety has a round knob on it and I'd never heard or seen anything like that so assumed it was a one off. Suddenly I feel I own another semi rare Llama.
Llama Model II - .380mm Production started in 1933 and lasted thru 1954. Locked Breech as you can see in the photo below, 161mm overall length, 94mm barrel and 8 round magazine. This gun had a change in the way the safety was made to the same look as the later model I above had. There have been reports that this gun ceased production in 35 because of faults, but it did not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.