Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hay did Israel every use Enfields?
Tons of them.
Saw lots in the 80's while playing with the IDF.
In the 90's SOG was selling #4 T's w/#32. rifles came out of Israel. Also the Israel made a copy of the #32 scope, that Sarco was selling for years.
Israel was made in 1948. At the time Israel was the British mandated territory of Palestine.

ATB

·
Registered
159 Posts
They also made their own No. 4Ts. Almost the same as the British made ones.
Ansleyj, I never saw an Israel made #4 T. They had Brittish made ones. They did make a copy of the #32 scope. They also rebuilt some. But unlike the Indians, Israel didn't scrub the rifles. But never say never with Enfields.
ATB

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,886 Posts
To expand on what Jon said, Israel in addition to making No.32 scopes and cans, also converted some No.4 rifles to No.4(T) configuration by adding their locally manufactured mounting pads to the receiver. I have two examples done by them, one in particular has a nice series of Hebrew markings on the left side of the barrel. I have shown pictures of that one before. You can easily miss the markings as they are often just one army property mark. I have a No.1 in the pile that is marked that way. It makes it real hard to identify one unless you really look a gun over closely. I lost that rifle several times as it got put away in the wrong area. I doubt I could find it now along with a 1941 Long Branch that is mislaid. I need a miner's had with the light.

·
Administrator
9,440 Posts
Israeli .303 Rifles.

Besides the above mentioned N04 rifles, Israel had a lot of SMLE rifles as well (legitimate issue, Pre-War Settlement Police, Wartime jewish brigade of british Army, Independance struggle "pinched" Arab legion rifles, and British "Losses" during the mandate.
I have two SMLEs with Post-1948 Israeli acceptance and Property marks.
As they were not the "standard" 7,9mm calibre, they were on issue to such units as the bedouin patrols of the Negev/Sinai, and to Kibbutz guards, where ammo re-supply was not a problem...the Bedouin patrols actually preferred the SMLE to the Mauser(more capacity, and after all, it was the Rifle of "El Aurens" in 1917.)

It is little known or appreciated that both Muslim and Christian Bedouins continue to form part of the Israeli Forces, although all one hears is about "Palestinians" of those persuasions.
IMO, "Palestine" ceased to exist in 1948, when the anti-semitic Grand Mufti of Jerusalem
actually urged all Arabs in "Palestine" to abandon their homes for the safety of Egypt (Gaza) Jordan, and Lebabon-Syria, where those well known terrorist breeding grounds were set up under the guise of "Refugee camps for palestinians"...it got so bad that eventually Jordan expelled them with Tanks and Infantry...they were causeing too much trouble in both Jordan and Israel, that the IDF reprisals on Jordan were becoming too much to bear.

Don't get me wrong,I am not "Pro-Israel" or "pro-Zionist", just "pro-Truth"... and in the last 60 years, there has been little enough of that commodity in the Levantine crescent of the Middle East.

Enough Politics...I even have an Israeli accepted K31/50 (Hammerli assembled and scoped)
Sniper's rifle, still in 7,5x55 Swiss, and she is a humdinger shooter, with iron sights...the scope got "lost " before It came to me several (10,15 )years ago.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Gold Bullet member
11,605 Posts
I have a book about wars of the Middle East and there are some pictures of Israelis with Enfields.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Saw a No.5 Jungle Carbine (when visiting in the Summer of '05) on display at the Golani Brigade Museum amongst various weapons that the brigade used over the years.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Kibbutz Yad Mordechai - was founded in 1943 and is situated just south of Ashkelon. The kibbutz is named after Mordechai Anilewicz, the leader of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. A giant statue of him can be found in the Kibbutz as well as the Old Water Tower that was shelled by the Egyptians during the War of Independence. The Kibbutz has a museum dedicated to the Ghetto fighters. The Kibbutz has its own history as it was on the frontline during the War of Independence and was captured and destroyed by the Egyptians. It was subsequently recaptured and rebuilt. There is a Museum and battlefield exhibit dedicated to the memory of 23 members who died defending the Kibbutz. Today, the Kibbutz is one of the largest producers in Israel of honey production.

Yad Mordechai has recreated the 1948 battle scene with figures representing Egyptian soldiers. In the foreground are some of the weapons used by the defenders.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
MChalmers,
Where did you see a L-E in the IDF in the '80s? In the '80s, I served in the IDF, ran a small armory, visited others, worked with the MaGav, and visited with a few gun dealer/collectors. I don't think I ever saw any Enfields outside of a museum, and they were very scarce. I don't recall the No.5 at the Golani Museum. I'll have to look closer next time. I would love to get an Israeli-marked Enfield someday, but I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking at. Can someone post a pic or two of their markings?
Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MChalmers,
Where did you see a L-E in the IDF in the '80s? In the '80s, I served in the IDF, ran a small armory, visited others, worked with the MaGav, and visited with a few gun dealer/collectors. I don't think I ever saw any Enfields outside of a museum, and they were very scarce. I don't recall the No.5 at the Golani Museum. I'll have to look closer next time. I would love to get an Israeli-marked Enfield someday, but I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking at. Can someone post a pic or two of their markings?
Thanks.
I was there around 82, on loan from Uncle Sam. The IDF had free M-16's. I was shown a "warehouse", that had Enfields, M1's, 98K's and anything under the sun. I'd lay money that the inventory was sold to SOG, Century or Val in the 90's(1991-2).
If I'm lucky I still may have pics from the trip. But that was two-three wives ago :)
ATB

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,886 Posts
Israeli marked No.4 Mk1(T)

Attached is a photo I found in files of one of my Israeli marked rifles. Note the square edges on the Israeli manufactured mounting pad.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
M.Chalmers,
Was the warehouse a bit east of Jerusalem, on the road to Jericho?

·
Registered
159 Posts
M.Chalmers,
Was the warehouse a bit east of Jerusalem, on the road to Jericho?
Near Ramo(n) or Ovda Air base (They were new back then) I just can't remember what base I was at when I was taken on a trip. I was back in Israel '96'. Man things have changed.
ATB

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
And how! It's like Lil' America now, with traffic jams, Home Depot, and Pizza Hut!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Johnny C.,
I was visiting the Golani Memorial Park/Museum at Golani Junction (just next to the McDonalds!), on the way to Tiveria. They have one display case behind glass in the room with all the names of the brigade's soldiers who fell in Israel's wars. The No.5, is sitting next to an AK-47. If I can figure out how to post photos I'll put it up here as I have a shot of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts