Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
That’s a cool rifle, it was FTRd in 1954 where it was upgraded to a MkI/3. How it found its way to the Dutch East Indies after that is beyond my pay grade though.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That look like a BSA FTR Marking

BSA did not undertake any military FTRs on behalf of the UK Government, and all of their FTR programmes were simply "commercial" contracts.
Part of a'presentation' by Peter laidler.

Being sub contractors for the war effort, while BSA did their own FTR's, they were basically just commercial contractors to whoever chose to utilise their services. The War Dept/Admiralty/ Air Ministry didn't use them for FTR work. Westley Richards were another post war commercial FTR contractor although their specialty was ex WD Bren Guns.

It is entirely possible the DEI gave BSA a contract to FTR and supply X,000 rifles.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yep, we’ve seen some of these ‘54 commercial BSAs come out of Ethiopia lately, so they definitely “got around” (unlike their ‘50s commercial MkIIIs).
I have no evidence, but I'm a bit skeptical. FTR is one thing, but the 1/3 or the 1/2 conversion by BSA? Why do it if there was no need?

The UK government had Faz do it to older rifles because of a perceived issue with accuracy due to trigger being stock mounted. Hence the MkII design and the 1/3 or 1/2 conversion. But why add the cost to a commercial FTR contract when a new barrel and bolt adjustments would be more than enough to make the rifle like new mk1. No need for new parts around the trigger mounting, no need for new forend if older one is still good.

To the OP. That is one pretty cool rifle.

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
Did India upgrade No.4 to 1/3 and did India sell rifles to Indonesia at some point.
Comment....arms traders abounded in the post war years so WWII firearms can show up about
anywhere ..Ethiopia and Indonesia may have been two examples of emerging nations who
bought up surplus rifles in this period. Then again, why would Indonesia want to arm up with
Lee Enfields, they had a ton of Japanese and Dutch rifles on hand after WWII but I wasn't there
so maybe they did buy Enfields. I'd guess the Indians sold off a bunch of Enfields since some
clearly showed up in recent RTI Found In Ethiopia examples.

Great looking rifle, markings unique. There has got to be a great story with that rifle now long lost.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
I have no evidence, but I'm a bit skeptical. FTR is one thing, but the 1/3 or the 1/2 conversion by BSA? Why do it if there was no need?

The UK government had Faz do it to older rifles because of a perceived issue with accuracy due to trigger being stock mounted. Hence the MkII design and the 1/3 or 1/2 conversion. But why add the cost to a commercial FTR contract when a new barrel and bolt adjustments would be more than enough to make the rifle like new mk1. No need for new parts around the trigger mounting, no need for new forend if older one is still good.

To the OP. That is one pretty cool rifle.
maybe the contract started they (Dutch or whoever) wanted the rifles brought up to current specs?

as was that done for the DEI , or before it was sold or dispersed to them?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
maybe the contract started they (Dutch or whoever) wanted the rifles brought up to current specs?

as was that done for the DEI , or before it was sold or dispersed to them?
Anything is possible . Better pictures would help, markings on wood and metal parts .

Reactions: Lyman1903

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
Here’s one almost identical, BSA 1954 MkI/2:

Here’s another, in much better shape:

·
Registered
13,501 Posts
For anyone interested in what a British transverse screw might look like, take a gander at that second link. I’ll go out on the limb that that don’t look Ishy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts