Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone clue me in on what the heck is going on with sporterized No.4 and SMLE prices? Maybe it's just locally but it seems $400-450 has become the standard asking price for the typical bubba'ed enfield (cut forend) and people are paying it. I know that the enfield has a very long and incredible history, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I paid around $150 for my Savage No4 Mk1 a couple years ago... and ONLY that much because it had virtually all the metal intact and uncut. I just had to find the wood pieces and one barrel band. Still didn't have a lot into the "restoration" if you want to call it that.

I've also seen a bunch of them in the pawn shops and such for outrageously high prices. I just don't feel right paying more than about $150 for any rifle that has had any wood chopped off... if the barrel has been shortened or other things added then it just goes down from there. A good shooter is just that but not collectible anymore. Yet, they all eventually disappear from the shelf, which leads me to believe that someone is buying them, although I have no idea who or why.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I see a lot of them for sale on Armslist for extraordinary high prices as well as some sporters that the seller is advertising as original. It seems to be the case that some people just don't do their homework.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Could be that due to the Enfields being imported from Ethiopia and damaged wood, folks are looking for replacements. And with the recent sale of Springfield Sporters parts inventory the buyers are raising the prices of the stuff they bought to recoup their money.Frank

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Could be that due to the Enfields being imported from Ethiopia and damaged wood, folks are looking for replacements. And with the recent sale of Springfield Sporters parts inventory the buyers are raising the prices of the stuff they bought to recoup their money.Frank
Correct but that is only part of the problem. It does reflect it though. The underlying core is whatever the market will tolerate, and for some reason the retail market is tolerating regularly scheduled price increases.
The term 'pricing themselves out' doesn't appear to mean much these days. Nobody balks. Nobody looks elsewhere. Everybody pays.

Its been a long time since I've seen $2 American made pocket knives and 40c lunches. Gawd.......I've gotten old! I bought a new Mustang (year end sale) for only $2,800!
Gotta stop. Its killing me. I thought my pension was prepared for inflation. Wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A few years back (3-4years) I gave $150 for a Sporter 1916 No I MK III, bubba had cut the front sight off, but left the stock tapered full length. As bubba did the cutting to it already, I decided to scope it. I used a Williams off set with a Leopold Fixed 6x, and reproduction cheek rest. Nice looking, but still a Sporter. The scope is technically worth more than the rifle. Now Bubba did a great job on the stock and sanded and polished it very nicely. I may have to post a pic or two of it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think it’s rising tide all boats thing. It’s not just Enfields, it’s everything firearm . Are there any firearms that remained near 2019 pricing ? It’s also the market . Local
Market vs GB (national). My last puracheses , in the last month, were a sporter 41 Lithgow for 225 and a 39 BSA commercial no1 at 375, and a 43 ROF(F) No4mk1 at 500. All local market , not advertised nationally . I would consider these decent prices for these days .

Can anyone clue me in on what the heck is going on with sporterized No.4 and SMLE prices? Maybe it's just locally but it seems $400-450 has become the standard asking price for the typical bubba'ed enfield (cut forend) and people are paying it. I know that the enfield has a very long and incredible history, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Yeah, talk about old car prices way back when. My 70 Dodge Dart with the 318 engine cost me $2700. Had that car for 15 years and the guys at work always said when was I going to step up with a new car. Sold the dart for $300 which was what I paid for new tires and gave the car away. Think I paid $200 for my Parker Hale sporter. That was more than a few years ago. Frank

·
Registered
323 Posts
Two weeks ago a sporterized Enfield No.1 Mk.III in an ATI stock, rebarrelled to .308, and drilled and scoped went for $450.00 at a local shop here in SW Virginia, it had been on the rack for approx four (4) months.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Two weeks ago a sporterized Enfield No.1 Mk.III in an ATI stock, rebarrelled to .308, and drilled and scoped went for $450.00 at a local shop here in SW Virginia, it had been on the rack for approx four (4) months.
Are you sure it wasn't an Ishapore 2a or 2A1? They were made in 7.62X51. Like this guy. PAX

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't an Ishapore 2a or 2A1? They were made in 7.62X51. Like this guy. PAX

Nope it wasn't one of those, it didn't look that good, it was a straight sporterization.

·
Registered
323 Posts
..... as for "sporterized" Enfield prices, I just paid $350 for a No.4 Mk. I, it's in beautiful condition, no rust spots, scoped (Tasco EXP), a "commercial" sporter from the mid-1960's. I won it on Gunbroker, was listed by it's original civilian owner who is getting up in age and whom put less than 200 rounds through it. It's exactly what I wanted for target shooting, deer, and coyote.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.