Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've found one of these in a local shop listed at $499. The lock is marked Enfield 1858 and is in .577 cal. It looks identical to the one shown in the photo below except the metal has no bluing and is not in as nice condition. There is no pitting that I can see and the wood looks solid (no cracks).

I know next to nothing about muzzle-loading weapons but I'm interested in this carbine and would like some opinions on the price. From what I can tell these carbines can fetch up to $2500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'India' pattern carbine

You have what is known as the 'India' pattern cavalry carbine. These were served out to the Indian Army, along with the later pattern which feathred the Badley band.
They are uncommon, and even if it is well worn, as long as the sling bar is still attached to the sidenail cups, the price seem quite fair. BTW, at that time the regular British cavalry were served out with the Westley Richars carbine. Most of the P1861 'India' pattern we later converted to the Snider cavalry pattern. That is the reason that P1861's are quite rare today.
I hope this is of help to you. I consider myself very fortunate to have several examples of this weapon, including the P1877 'India' carbine on the Snider pattent

-The Irish ****
On 'is hill station Arizona Territory

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irishmick.....thanks for the info. The carbine has the saddle bar and ring still attached which looks identical to the one shown in this photo:

So was this carbine manufactured by Enfield in England and sent to India? Either way I think I'll go back tommorrow for another look. There is also a Pattern 1856 Enfield musket dated 1858 on the lock plate with bayonet for $449.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts