Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fast Mark Finder list of markings found on Lee-Enfield oil bottles/oilers has been updated. The 100+ markings are (mostly) in alphabetical order. The list is here: Enfield-Stuff Oiler Fast Mark Finder

If you have a oiler marking that is not on the list, I would very much like to hear from you.

A list of oiler markings organized by country is here: Lee-Enfield Oiler Markings by Country

If you know nothing about Lee-Enfield oilers/oil bottles, start here: Enfield-Stuff Field Guide to Lee-Enfield Oilers

If you have a new or unknown mark, I would very much like to hear from you.

Enfield-Stuff

·
Gold Bullet member
11,318 Posts
Thanks for composing this list and especially thanks for posting it here! (y)

And welcome to Gun Boards! You're off to an excellent start! :)

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Nice job, thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks very much, I am booking marking this as there is so much to read. Great effort to get all of this information together.

·
Registered
576 Posts
AFGHAN Enfield of Martini-Henry oiler variation

Thank you for providing a great resource. I enjoyed reviewing your extensive list. On one of my tours to Afghanistan, I was able to acquire a number of variations of Enfield style brass oilers that were likely manufactured at the Kabul Arsenal up through the later 1920's.
I pulled up a few pictures I took in 2010 while stationed at Bagram Air Base. I compared them to your lists and noticed another variation (far right in below pictures). I'm not sure if it is in Arabic, Pashto or Dari. Perhaps someone on the forum can assist.

Best Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your note and pictures. I really like the third one. Give another day or two. I'll PM you to get your details (should you care to share them) and add the pic to the index. The photo is the easy part. Rendering the Arabic to a b/w graphic takes me a little longer.

More in a bit.

Enfield-Stuff

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE 2021-02-09

Nigel Utting
(Bailiwick of Jersey, Channel Islands, British Isles) has been busy. First, he picked up an ultra-rare, never-before-reported, Nobel Explosives Company marked oiler (Oilers: England); shortly thereafter he unearthed some rare South African Small Arms Committee minutes of Jan 1942 and June 1942 that outline orders placed and received for oilers from AECO – a documented link to “Associated Engs” – as well as several other previously unknown South African manufacturers of oilers. (Oilers: South Africa) Thank you, Nigel!!

Enfield-Stuff

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Here's a Canadian which came from a knowledgeable collector of Ross gear - purported to be dated 1914.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the picture. Sorry about the delay in responding.

There are a whole series of similarly marked oilers (N15; HB15; McA15) that I suspect were originally contracted out as Ross Rifle oilers and ended up with Lee-Enfields, as the specifications as exactly the same. I spent some time amid the archives in Quebec, but was unable to find a primary source (gov't document or contract) or other information.

The information I have about Great War (1914-1919) Canadian oilers is summarized here: https://enfield-stuff.com/Pages/3-oilers/3-3-2_makers_CAN.html

If you go to the Fast Mark Finder page here https://enfield-stuff.com/Pages/3-oilers/3-1_fast_mark_finder_oilers.html and scroll down. you'll find detailed pictures.

Thank you for the pictures and again, my apologies for the delay in responding.

Enfield-Stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts