Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down at the Pawn shop today just checking on a 1916 GEW 98 that will be available for sale next week (They will hold it for me for first refusal. That's another story) when out from default comes this little gem that was just calling to me to take home…so I did.
1941 No4 Mk1.

Near as I can tell all matching but bolt (which looks like from a No5) is un numbered, Magazine, and I'm not too sure of the nose cap band. No sign of sanding on the stock everything looks in sound condition.
Came with a old Bianchi leather sling and a shoulder protector but no brass butt plate but I have one of those I can put on.
Given the prices at the shows I know I stole this one $145.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh for sure definitely a steal. It looks for all the world like a Maltby from the markings and the serial number plus it has M 1941 and M over a lot of the parts. But very faint on the receiver electro-stencilled is what seems like ???OF (FTR) 4 and forward of that is what looks like FMP with a T sitting on top of the M. Like T with the tail of the T meeting the M.
FMP
Can't really tell as it is so faint. It all looks in very nice shape and there are some parts marked with an F such as the bolt and the rear sight. Makes me wonder if it was a Faz FTR at some point
Bolt head is No2 and there seems little wear. I need to strip the ejector and check headspace then it's off to the range. The magazine is flopping around and is a mismatch but I have a spare. Barrel is matching numbers and bore is dark but seem fine.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
It's a 1943 or '44 rifle with that serial, not a 1941. It has also been refurbed twice, once at Maltby and again at Fazakerley when they missed the zero at the end of the serial.

We seem to have had a lot of mismarked No4s on here lately.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks LVSteve, I think you are right re the year although I think 43 because although there appears to be an overstrike what you can see of the number is more like a 3. Very strange looks like three strikes on it a 1, a 3 and maybe a 4. Good info on the FTRs I thought that may be the case and I would love to figure out when they were done. The 4 after the (FTR) seems to point to 1944 or would that be 54?. A 44 FTR would seem too soon on a 43 rifle especially with a Maltby FTR in-between. Rifle is marked with CAI import under the muzzle. 41 or 43 it seems in very good condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.