Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Enfield No4 Mk1 from Royal tiger Imports that was a B Grade rifle with “good bore “ after a deep barrel cleaning and taking apart I need help identifying what the astrick on top of the barrel
means and around what year it was manufactured, it shows on the metal grip “ROF “ with an X starting serial number. Could anybody help me since this is my first No4 Mk1

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
The asterix (*) means "rust found on bore or chamber". Not to be confused with the similar but larger Sold Our Of Service touching "Broad Arrows". (><)

Reactions: limpetmine

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,773 Posts
The year should be marked on the receiver. Given an X block it's ca. 1942. The leading "2" of the five digits indicates it was made at Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Fazakerley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The asterix (*) means "rust found on bore or chamber". Not to be confused with the similar but larger Sold Our Of Service touching "Broad Arrows". (><)
I’ve thoroughly cleaned the barrel and can make out 2 groves, will the rust possibly cause issues firing the rifle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The year should be marked on the receiver. Given an X block it's ca. 1942. The leading "2" of the five digits indicates it was made at Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Fazakerley.
So the barrel in the receiver have matching numbers but the bolt serial number does not match, what is cause issues with “head space”

·
Silver Bullet member
1,188 Posts
I’ve thoroughly cleaned the barrel and can make out 2 groves, will the rust possibly cause issues firing the rifle?
What do you mean by Grooves? - rings in the bore? If so, This could be evidence of barrel bulges from clearing an obstruction or a squib round by pulling the trigger. Not necessarily a safety issue, but will impact accuracy.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
I think he means rifling lands & grooves as in its a 2-groove bore not a 5 or 6 groove one?
If the rust was deep or pitted it might, but its also possible that it was an older barrel & it was replaced at some point.
Any evidence of "FR" or "FTR" markings?
Re mis-matching bolt:
could be several things, the bolts were fitted individually for locking lug engagement, bolt head timing, & firing pin protrusion, not only head sapace.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
With a mismatched bolt, you should look into it further.

Lug engagement
Bolt head index
Firing pin protrusion
Headspace

Probably more I'm not thinking of, still on 1st cuppa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he means rifling lands & grooves as in its a 2-groove bore not a 5 or 6 groove one?
If the rust was deep or pitted it might, but its also possible that it was an older barrel & it was replaced at some point.
Any evidence of "FR" or "FTR" markings?
Re mis-matching bolt:
could be several things, the bolts were fitted individually for locking lug engagement, bolt head timing, & firing pin protrusion, not only head sapace.
Sorry I meant 2 groove rifling, I also didn’t notice a firing pin protruding but the serial number for the bolt looks to be BY 3207 ??

·
Silver Bullet member
1,188 Posts
Yeah, absent a go, no-go gage set, there no telling what the headspace is on that setup. It may not be an issue..but it may be.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
Yes, but one familiar with the Lee Enfield, not just "Gunz an stuff"!

Reactions: tbird255

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, but one familiar with the Lee Enfield, not just "Gunz an stuff"!
So is it ok to run a reproduction firing pin inside of the No4? I just discovered the end of the point is chipped off or broke. But is it safe to run a reproduction firing pin and spring through it? And does anyone have recommended site that sells either used ones or reproduction ones?

·
Registered
18,513 Posts
Truth be told, I am sorry you bought that rifle since now you are well into salvaging it . A British firing pin will not be hard to find, Apex most likely has them and they are a board sponsor. Probably give you a great price.

You need a gunsmith with the correct headspace gauges. Two come to mind: Brian Dick LTD and "Chuck In Denver".

Your No.4 is far better condition than many seen from Royal Tiger and if you check this forum's past months, there are some truly "Residue" Grade No.4's bought and arrived here for help. Sometimes the patient is dead upon arrival or damn close to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I truly appreciate you’re help, I took a gamble on Royal tiger and honestly, I knew that going in to it. but other than the inside of the Barrel being completely caked in dirt and mud, when I was finally able to separate the barrel from the stock due to the thick hardened dirt it had no exterior rust on the outside of the barrel and the stock was in decent condition. I want to say I faired way better than others that have bought from them and parts wise it truly only looks like I need a new firing pin and maybe a new spring to go with it but all the parts seem to be working

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Your rifle most likely made it to Ethiopia by way of India, as evidenced by the dimples fore & aft of the lower band, and the transverse stock screw just ahead of the front guard screw (action screw).

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the firing pin until you've had it checked over. It may need a new bolt, or bolt head, or may be beyond salvaging, etc.............
(It may also be perfectly fine, just saying though. Figure out everything you need before you start buying parts.)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
So is it ok to run a reproduction firing pin inside of the No4? I just discovered the end of the point is chipped off or broke. But is it safe to run a reproduction firing pin and spring through it? And does anyone have recommended site that sells either used ones or reproduction ones?
One way of making a rifle DP (Drill Purpose only - not to be fired) was to clip the end off the firing pin.

It may be worth having a proper Enfield gunsmith give the rifle a good inspection to see if it still meets standards. This cannot be done visually and needs the correct gauges - Brian Dick (BDL Ltd) has the knowledge and the equipment, and, has already been asked by dozens of RTI customers to try and resurect their rifles and get them into shootable condition.

·
Registered
818 Posts
As said above, give Brian Dick a call. I've used his services a few times and he is excellent. It may take a little while, last time we spoke he was up to his eyebrows with these RTI guns. If he takes yours, you will not be disappointed with his work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One way of making a rifle DP (Drill Purpose only - not to be fired) was to clip the end off the firing pin.

It may be worth having a proper Enfield gunsmith give the rifle a good inspection to see if it still meets standards. This cannot be done visually and needs the correct gauges - Brian Dick (BDL Ltd) has the knowledge and the equipment, and, has already been asked by dozens of RTI customers to try and resurect their rifles and get them into shootable condition.
I appreciate you’re help, I noticed the firing pin looked to be either chipped or broken off at the tip, because there isn’t a point on the tip at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As said above, give Brian Dick a call. I've used his services a few times and he is excellent. It may take a little while, last time we spoke he was up to his eyebrows with these RTI guns. If he takes yours, you will not be disappointed with his work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Is his services reasonable priced? I just don’t want this to turn into a money pit, also can I ship him my rifle from my local FFL dealer?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts