Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first Brit revolver I've had so I know very little about them. I'm going to find a copy of the book on the No2 MkI but I thought the forum could add some other info on this if possible.
It has a blue finish and the top of the barrel is dated 45 along with the caliber marking. There are the Enfield markings on the right side along with a small L in a box at the back of the trigger guard. There are matching serial numbers on the major parts ZJ2543 and some parts have the Enfield logo stamped on them. There are NO proof marks except the military proofs and a SPT54 stamped on the side of the cylinder.
Can anyone give an opinion on the pedigree of this revolver ??

Thanks Much,
Warren in Arizona

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
this should be something other than "blued" as original , suncorite paint ,

the grip scales look OK for the late mkI** , the disc should not have much in markings - maybe a broad arrow ,

the right side above the trigger and below the hammer should have a logo with a date as well as the model mark , if its not there its due to the refinish , that said , it may be lightly struck and a tad bit dificult to see , could be made at 'enfeild' in england , could be made at 'albion' in scotland , could be made in australia "HAK"

- if so send it to me for verification :<}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Enfield marked and it doesn't look like a refinish to me. There are no FTR markings and no sign of paint or parkerizing. I'm not sure what the suncorite finish should look like but if it's the same as the FN stoving finish then this revolver never had it. The pictures should give an idea of the finish and the type it is. I've been a military collector for forty years but I've not had much to do with British issue arms. There seems to be a scarcity of information on the Enfield revolvers so I thought I'd ask the forum for help.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looks like a pretty good original finish example, no export/postwar commercial proof markings, screws aren't buggered.

Suncrote is basically a type of black paint.

There isn't much for books dedicated to just No2's but the book " Howdah to High Power. A Century of breech loadind Service Pistols " by Robert Maze is a pretty good book and has a section on No2's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys, I found a copy of Skennertons book locally and I'll pick it up tomorrow. From what you all say this is most likely a bring back without having passed through the British export proofing system and it's the original finish. It certainly is a robust little revolver and would make a fine club after it ran out of beans. The person I bought this from also has a very short barrel example that looks like it's been bobbed after the fact but very well done. I paid $100 for this one and she wants $100 for the other. Do you all think a cut down Enfield is still worth that price. I also bought three Victory model S&W from her, two in .38spl with US markings and the other with Brit markings in .38S&W. I also bought a Waffenamp marked Astra 600/43 from the same lady. I'll be going back to see her this weekend to go through more of what she has. She is selling off her late husbands collection which she has appraised by a local gunshop. most of the commercial stuff seems to be priced high but the military stuff is fair to low priced. There's a bunch of SMLEs that I haven't even gone through yet.
I'll probably have more questions before I'm done spending money :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
I paid $100 for this one and she wants $100 for the other. Do you all think a cut down Enfield is still worth that price. :D
I don't.
It's my position that the many Enfield and Webley revolvers with shortened barrels on the US market were shortened by pre-'68 mail order distributors to make weapons which at the time were considered boat anchors more saleable. Those who give credibility to stories about specially modified sidearms for special units, etc. may feel otherwise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There may have been one cut down revolver made (according to Peter Laidler, a rather well known British Army Armourer), the rest as mentioned above, were mail order "brides" probably converted by Cogswell and Harrison in the 60s. Dave_n

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.