No expert but it looks pretty nice.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,583 Posts
Good grief that is beautiful!

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Oooh. Very nice. Went through refurbishment but that's to be expected for a rifle that may have served into 1960s or 70s. Super find.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody know what the a matched scope and mount to a non matched one is in value?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Forced match;
The attempt to force match it dropped the value more than leaving it as it was.
Not a factory match but forced by probably a previous owner since being sold as surplus.
If the turrets rotate freely and the reticle moves with the adjustments an all in all decent piece.
Certainly a bingo card of wood and metal components.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think its a buba job. The font and spacing is exactly the same on my other T sniper. Both have a 19xxx starting number and a 6 in their number. This one came from a very old collection. It was bought when they came in 50 plus years ago.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Not a bubba job. The rifle is, IMHO, clearly a rifle that served a good long while and was rebuilt using parts available, and the scope number was restamped on the buttstock when this scope was mated to the rifle. Absolutely fantastic find.

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
Shorter rescue.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just remember that out of all the No.4 sniper rifles that were imported into North America during the last 60 years most were mismatch. Very few importers matched up anything as they were into volume.
The scopes were shipped separately from the rifles as "attractive goods" and in most cases the importer just stuck on scope can into each rifle chest. Some of the smaller importers did spend the time and matched up what they could but it was all about time and money.
In the hundreds of No.4T rifles have handled over the past 60 plus years I have never seen numbers cancelled out with with
a chisel. Sorry...I have seen them X'd out, sanded out and in one or two cases an actual wood inlet added. Those were far and few between.
In my opinion, the cancelling of the serial number of the scope on the wrist is a bubba job.
The rest of the rifle and scope is kosher. Just not together from day one.
This is my opinion on the hundreds that I have handled over 60 plus years.
I do stand to be corrected, but from what I saw, I stand by my opinion.

·
Registered
924 Posts
...In my opinion, the cancelling of the serial number of the scope on the wrist is a bubba job...
I have only examined one other rifle of this type. The scope did not match, but I do not recall any chiseling away of the original number. Everything else appears original.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts