Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an war era enfield no. 2 mk1 pistol this morning. I traded a guy a bunch of 8mm surplus for it. I did some reading and have some questions. The blue book of guns says this thing is worth 600 to 650 (75-80%). I am having a hard time swallowing that. What is its actual value? How the heck do I figure out what year this was made? I see no date stamping. There is a 49 stamped into the barrel but according to the books I have been reading say they were introduced in 1938 and went out of production in 1943. For the age, this things is in pretty good shape. There is some holster wear but not much else. I just cant get my head around what I have though. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Pistol No 2 Mk 1 which has the full hammer with spur, was first issued around 1931. The year is usually marked on the side for the Mk 1 and then you will find a year number on the barrel rib, usually just two digits. The No 2 Mk 1* which is DA only was then issued in the late 1930s with a number of No 1s being modified to this type of pistol. Supposedly so that "tankers" would not snag the hammer spur. A later modification gave the No 2 Mk 1** which eliminated some of the internal milling (transfer bar) and was issued around 1942 or so. Ian Skennerton wrote an excellent book on this revolver (if you google him you will find it). Dates and marks do not always match as I have a 1939 and a 1942 that are Mk1's (with full hammer) and their internal fitments match Mk 1's. Dave_n

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one does not have the hammer spur. To be honest I have no use for this pistol. Not to mention it is going to be expensive getting ammo for this thing. I traded the 8mm because I dont shoot 8mm. It was just given to me. My intent is to sell this thing asap and apply the money else where. Any idea what a 75-80% no 2 mk 1 is worth? If it will help I can post pictures.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,870 Posts
Quick plug for a gunboards sponsor. Do a google image search for "Enfield Revolver" from the domain "empirearms.com" and see what they have sold for on that site in the past.

Second best is dig through auctionarms/gunbroker for Enfield revolver, and look at the sale price on *completed* auctions.

·
Copper Bullet member
570 Posts
Date should be stamped into the frame; on the right side. Depending on year of production it may have the full Enfield marks with crown, or it may just say DI. They were produced through the entire war, until 1945 at least.

These pistols were used well into the 70's (even though they were "technically" replaced by the 9mm HPs) so a '49 barrel might be an in-service replacement. Does your pistol have an Suncorite (black enamel paint) finish?

-Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears to be a black paint of sorts. It looks pretty durable. I don't see a date stamp on the sides. The only marking I can make out on the right side is some odd symbols and a small crown with bmp underneath it, along with England underneath the cylindar. To the right of the cylindar on the barrel it says Parker hale and England.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I picked up a very nice NO 2 MK 1* today, original, never FTR'd, nice early wood grips with a holster and web belt for $275 out the door. I've seen gunshow junkers for $350 locally.

The stove black finish is great, take care to not use brake cleaner or steel wool to remove it. "BNP" means British Nitro Proof, it is one of many marks and stamps required for commerical sale in England. Not uncommon or undesirable for the most part.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
The "tanker" model is a MYTH! The hammer spur was deleted and the pistol made DA only to ease production. If you looked at a issue holster, you would find that it SWALLOWS almost the entire pistol except for the grips. I might also point out that Webley revolvers retained the hammer spur and they were also issued to armoured troops.
I suspect this was simply a sales gimmick, like calling the Rifle, No5,Mk1 a "jungle carbine"
A rough idea on dates
Grips
Mk1 Chequred Walnut,serial number 1 to C prefix 1927-1934
Mk1: Reeded walnut, D-F serial prefix 1935-1938
MkII: Reeded Walnut with brass marking disc, G-Q prefix 1938-1942
MkII Reeded walnut with Mk1 stock nut, Q-R prefix, 1942
MkIII Bakelite composition with brass marking disc, 1942-1945

Now a Mk2 .455 calibre Webley would be worth the $600+ Price. That would predate the Boer War, accepted for service on 21 May 1895

1 - 9 of 9 Posts