Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Very nice, I missed one 20 years ago and not seen another since. Unfortunately Howard couldn’t quite get it right, and by the time they figured it out, there were enough being produced in the U.K. to supply the commonwealth.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,161 Posts
Hello Peter, I admire your HAC, a very nice example. I have A55 in my collection. Though they made very few revolvers, I think what HAC did make compare very favorably with the products of Enfield and Albion in the UK. The interchangeably tests conducted by the Australian military inspectors was far more rigorous than what the British made No. 2 MK I* revolvers would have been require to pass. All of the No.2 MKI* revolvers required a degree of hand fitting to get the timing right, including the ones made in the UK. Parts like the barrels, frames, side-plates and cylinders were numbered to match for a reason. Anyway, that's my two cents as an armature gunsmith/collector.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
AFAIK the original 38/200 load for the Enfield/Webley .38 revolvers was really just the WESTERN Cartridge Co. SUPER POLICE load for the .38 S&W cartridge.
Both the .38 S&W (650 FPS or so) and .38 Special ( 700 FPS) were loaded with a 200 gr Blunt Nose Lead Bullet starting in the 1920's. It was marketed as a "manstopper" round to the Police for use against bandits and other criminal types.
The 200 gr .38 S&W has not been loaded for many years but the .38 Special load was manufactured until recently. It is a good self defence round for up close use. The slow moving soft lead blunt bullet tends to expend all its energy in flesh and blood and deforms quickly. Penetration not as good as jacketed though.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts