Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to remove both the firing pin and the extractor from a Enfield bolt prior to using a field headspace gauge?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can remove everything and just have the bolt body. It's unneccessary though. All you need to do is insert the gauge under the ejector and holding the trigger in slide the bolt forward and close it ever so slowly. Any slight resisitance is as far as you need to go. I am not going to explain what all the stuff is with go, no go etc as there has been enough BS said on that matter. Checking headspace is a quick and easy job and all you need is the reference as to what gauge gauges what and apply it. Nothing with Lee enfields is rocket scienece, only some people here will argue against that point though.:D:D:D

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Checking Head Space by the manual

The only reason I’m make this post is to give Para a hard time :)

Précis No SA/Rifles/1A (March 1960)

TESTS, ADJUSTMENTS AND GAUGING

(b) Cartridge Head Space:
Gauges required: SM 139 - .064 in. SM 140 - .074 in.

Using the .064, place in chamber, remove extractor and spring from bolt head and insert into rifle. The bolt must not close.
Replace the .064 with the .074. Test as before but the bolt must NOT close.
(a) When a No.1 and No.2 head breech bolt is fitted, there must be a minimum gap of 0.050 from the underside of the bolt lever to contacting point on the body socket.
(b) When a No.3 head breech bolt is fitted, the left edge of the resistance column of the bolt must not rotate beyond inner edge of resistance shoulder of the body.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate sparing all the details. Just bought a field gauge and wasn't sure, thanks.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Depends on whose field gage you bought. One made to SAMMI specs can fail an otherwise safe rifle as they are tighter than the British ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK bear with me here. I tried a SAAMI field gauge (.070) in a No. 4 rifle with a #1 bolt head and it closed with minimal pressure. Now if I understand it right, is it still possible for the headspace to be within safe limits because the mil spec gauge would be (.074)? Or should this arrangement not close at all. Would changing to a #2 bolt head help? Just want to make sure I understand all this.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Yes...it is not only possible, but very likely that the rifle is well within safe limits. British field reject spec is .074. Emergency (wartime) "drop dead" spec was .084, so you are probably fine, just need to used a milspec gauge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone for their help. One more question, can someone recommend a source for a milspec field gauge?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I heartily second the Yankee Engineering gauge. As convenient as they come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts