Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know it's not a REAL Enfield but it's a variant. I have an Australian International Arms M10-A1 rifle chambered in 7.62x39 and every time I fire it the bolt handle rotates up and completely unlocks! The bolt does not travel to the rear but the handle does go all the way up. I have only fired steel case Russian ammo and the cases are not showing deformation of any kind. If I put my thumb on the bolt handle when firing I can feel it push up but it is not a hard push. I have noticed that when I dry fire my No4's the bolt handle rises. Is this a headspace issue or something else? I am afraid to shoot the rifle and that saddens me, it is too pretty to be a wall hanger.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
that is a nice rifle, and a nice round to fire. good luck with it.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
All Enfields will have a "slight" bolt lift when dry firing.
However your rifle has a definite problem!!!
Surprised you continued to fire it with that happening,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't! I have only fired 5-10rnd total out of it:)

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Bolt Jump

Pawnshop

Bolt jump or the bolt handle moving upward when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber is caused by the striker/firing pin spring and spring torque. As the striker/firing pin spring is compressed on cocking or closing the bolt, the spring stores torque just like a wound up rubber band on a balsa wood model plane.

When the trigger is pulled the stored spring torque causes the bolt to rise or lift, this does not happen when a live round is fired because the rear of the case is touching and pushing on the bolt face. (Locked in place)

Two things can exaggerate bolt lift:

The striker/firing pin spring has sharp ends that dig into the bolt body and striker/firing pin collar. This prevents the ends of the spring from rotating and stores even more spring torque when cocked.

The second is a weak extractor spring, the spring and extractor are pushing the bolt to the rear when the bolt is closed.

You have a MAJOR SAFETY problem with your M10-A1, it could be caused by the Russian steel cases that you were firing and not contacting the bolt face properly when fired (length of time and force), thus preventing bolt jump. You could have spring problems, a rough chamber, headspace or combination of problems.

Please get your M-10 looked at before you fire it again, you are gambling with you life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts