Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Enfield early and Palma MatchBisley ENVOY rifle

Greetings All,
Below are pictures of two Envoys in my collection.

The first is a early Envoy with a serial number of E10. It is fitted with a Parker Hale 5D rear and PH Matchmaker front sight. The finish on this one is almost a satin oil(?) type finish. I wonder if this is the wood finish that was applied to the early rifles? Additionally, there is a hand stop rail attached to the fore end but the serial number was not milled out of the wood.

My second one is serial number E329 and marked PALMA MATCH BISLEY 1970 and proofed at both 19T and 20T. It is stamped REGULATED BY FULTON on the receiver ring and has a PH5C rear sight with a John Wilkes front globe sight. When Fultons collected 70 Envoys to prepare for the Palma Match, the numbers ranged across the entire production run. The finish is a glossy yellow birch unlike the earlier one. Its a nice piece with an interesting history. One of our members was kind enough to inform me who bought the rifle after the competition and I contacted the Bisley NRA museum with that information. Unfortunately, that persons name was not on the 1970 match team roster So unless I can find out some other way, I will never find out who shot it originally.

Regards,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here is my well worn/used example. Disclaimer, I didn't do it. So originally she was sold to the Captain of the Canadian Rifle Team in 1971. Later in life, the forend was rebedded with fiberglass and dull knife removing some of the forend and handguard wood. Fitted with a laced on cheek piece (with wood screw!). it has a PH5C and Matchmaker sight set up. When I got her she had a L42 mag, managed to trade for an Envoy mag E165, so if anyone has E148 drop me a note!

Attachments

149 Posts
Hello,

all this pictures look great. I'm interested in the Enfield Envoy as well, since the 90's. They are very rare here... .

Would it be possible to see a Sights-View through-picture ? In other words, the view of the Shooter from behind. All those different Sights on the Envoys - please 😉

Thanks !

Best regards
Winchester M70 Sharpshooter

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,675 Posts
The one I have has been buggered beyond belief by a high power shooter. The heel removed, and the rifle inletted into a Model 700 style target stock. I understand this was not an uncommon mod, but good god it's ugly.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hi Flight RN, your first rifle described above has the 5D model sight, it would be interesting to see how that is fitted onto the 7.62 modified receiver.

With respect to matching the SN to the original team member, I would expect the NRA in the host country would have that record. As I understand from previous Australian Palma team members, they took pot luck when the rifles were issued and the rifles were centrally held in a secure place on the range. When shooting the member attended and checked out the rifle serial number allocated to his name. You might have been using a blinder for accuracy, or one that was the worst of the bunch!

One story I heard about the Palma was one of the after shoot buyers never could get it to perform anywhere like the super score put up at one of the long ranges (900 or 1000 yds). The reason why was found out much later: the shooter turned up to the tent (obviously no photo ID needed!) and checked out the best of the bunch for that range, having grown sick of the performance of his rifle at the shorts. Makes you wonder how much that happened.

Also a Q for other Envoy users, was the Envoy ever sold with the model 5E4 sight which has the separate baseplate, or was that just later rifles like the L42?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Also a Q for other Envoy users, was the Envoy ever sold with the model 5E4 sight which has the separate baseplate, or was that just later rifles like the L42?
The PH 5E4 was NEVER used on the L42, it was developed for and only used on the Police Enforcer.
It was the PH5E which was designed for the Mauser actioned rifles (curved action), to reduce development costs of making a new sight they simply made a new bracket and renamed it PH5E4 (4 to denote suitable for the No4 action)
The use of the PH5E4 did entail a different safety catch to be manufactured as the sight body fouled the military safety,

The new safety had a much shorter 'stem'.

Attachments

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
That is going to vary slightly depending on your mounting position.
I try to "set my eye relief" in such a way as the "ears" of the front sight protector are really close to the edges of the view through the aperture.
This give me another "instinctive" sight alignment "clue".
Now I'm using a No1 MkIII, with a No9W peep, or a No4 Mk2, but the principal is the same with any peep, as opposed to "open" rear sight.
Let me try to illustrate.

) I ( Imagine, if you can a circle surrounding that front sight & sight protectors view.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ENFIELD ENVOY sn E10

Good Day,
I pulled out my early ENVOY and snapped a few pictures as I've decided to move it down the road so another collector or shooter will enjoy it. The rear aperture of the PH 9D has a common thread pitch so it can be changed to suit your particular style of shooting. Same can be said for the Parker Matchmaker front sight.
Regards,
Michael

Road surface Road Asphalt Joint Sidewalk
Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument String instrument accessory Tool
Line Shotgun Tan Trigger Air gun
Metal Iron Eye glass accessory Tan Tool
Iron Metal Carbon Circle Steel
Metal Iron Air gun Shotgun Steel
Product Tan Shotgun Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Most target shooters with average eyesight and ring sights would have a lot more "white" than Plonker, since the sight picture needed to reliably judge a centred aim while taking that last few breaths (and coordinating the pulse after the last exhalation) causes the ring to move over the aiming mark. With too small a ring every tiny error stops the shot sequence.

With the correct size ring and a good hold, the decision to release the shot is instantaneous. Too fine a white slows up that decision since you have to process if the white is marginally thinner at one location. I describe the sighting idea to new shooters as pin the tail on the donkey - you will intuitively know when the black dot is centred in the ring. At my club we have a whole page of sight picture printed to train them and they quickly get the idea on how to intuitively pick even quite small aiming errors. Most of them can usually be coached to hit a few bullseyes in their first shooting session.

Experienced target shooters with extremely good visual acuity, whether rimfire up to 50 metres or centre fire to 1000 metres, would use the sight picture at left. Older eyes would often transition to a ring which gives an equal width of white to the width of the aiming mark. With young eyes success can be gained with a thin ring, but older eyes often need the thickest ring available.

This youtub clip actually gives a reasonable idea how an air rifle is being aimed with a ring sight. Standing shooters use large rings so the bullseye is always in view once a coarse aim is taken. As the shooter's breath is exhaled to come onto aim, the chest contracts and the rifles comes down onto aim (exactly the opposite happens in prone). A coarse aim is held and refined while the true aim is "dithering" around. When the aim pauses in the centre the shot is smoothly released. In prone shooting where hold is much more solid, it would be usual to take an aim on each breath, check and correct position slightly, and keep repeating until aim is perfect. One more breath cycle and the shot is released. With experience this whole sequence from shot to shot will be 15 - 30 seconds in competition.

Ring size is a whole other topic. The front ring in FlightRN's post looks quite small, something suitable for one of the long ranges I am guessing. The era your Envoy was used would have thought 3.6 mm was OK for 100 yards and 2.2 mm was OK for 1000 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hi Plonker, when an earlier post asked about the sight picture, you pitched in and made a good point about front ring front sights. This triggered even more info which we both know many Enfield users don't have any experience with.
Happy New Year from me too.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Not really much point duplicating the images swede posted better.
I was just trying to illustrate however poorly the visual appearance of "dimming" the white ring even with very minor misalignment.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Can't take any credit for the sight pictures! I couldn't make anything to even hint at what needed to be shown, but since I was working alongside professional CAD draftsmen at that time, it didn't take much time for them to draw up something really good

149 Posts
Good Day,
I pulled out my early ENVOY and snapped a few pictures as I've decided to move it down the road so another collector or shooter will enjoy it. The rear aperture of the PH 9D has a common thread pitch so it can be changed to suit your particular style of shooting. Same can be said for the Parker Matchmaker front sight.
Regards,
Michael

View attachment 3776381 View attachment 3776382 View attachment 3776383 View attachment 3776384 View attachment 3776385 View attachment 3776386 View attachment 3776387
Good Day,
Regards,
Michael

View attachment 3776381 View attachment 3776382 View attachment 3776383 View attachment 3776384 View attachment 3776385 View attachment 3776386 View attachment 3776387
Many thanks ! Great pics !
I have to look at them an 3rd thime, at least. Being in a hurry right now...
A nice evening to all of you
Regards

149 Posts
ENFIELD ENVOY sn E10

Good Day,
Regards,
Michael

If its not to indiscrete, what about your shooting experience with it ? Which ammo brand worked well ?

Best regards

149 Posts
And what about this Envoy No. 405 - didn't somebody mention this rifle here in recent past ? Because now it's an offer by Highwood Classic Arms.. . What may be happened to it ?..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts