Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The list of markings found on Enfield bore viewers at Enfield-Stuff.com has been updated to be mobile-friendly. You can find that page here: https://enfield-stuff.com/Pages/5-nesoi.html

A bore viewer is a tool that is used to visually inspect the interior of a rifle barrel. The earliest and simplest versions used a glass mirror to reflect ambient light into the rifle chamber as the user looked into the muzzle. The light would reflect brightly off surfaces that were clean and polished.

Markings are found on both Type One (adopted 1891) and Type Two (adopted 1915) viewers. (Samples below)

If you have an Enfield-type bore viewer that is not on the list, I love to hear from you and add a picture of your prettie to the index.

Enfield-Stuff

·
Gold Bullet member
11,330 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a couple of Aussie? Type 2 examples, one WWI dated 1917 and the other WW2 not dated.
Thank you for your note. I would very much like to see your pretties. Can I get you to send me some pics? I'll send you a PM (private message) if you want to use email to send me some pictures rather than post them here. In either case, I'd LOVE to see your items.

Enfield-Stuff

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have a Type Two. On the base of the shaft it looks to be a "C" stamped into the metal. On the side of the hinge is "EFD". Do you know what the letters stand for? I thought the "EFD" might be something to do with Enfield. John

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your note, Mr. Larsen. "EFD" is a common abbreviation for the Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) at Enfield. The EFD manufacturing mark is commonly seen on parts and pieces of rifles and bayonets, as well as completed items.

As to the "C" - I haven't seen one of those yet. If you'll consider sending me a couple of pictures, I'll post them on the webpage - and give you credit, of course!

Enfield-Stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts