Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen any other material on this project? All I've ever been able to find online is these three pages from 1983. There's not much point asking anyone at American Handgunner anything about it. I doubt that anyone who worked there in '83 is still around (literally!), including the author (who doesn't know a Webley Mk.I from an Enfield No.2). I'm curious to know how they did certain things on this build, but the article is infuriatingly light on information. Has anyone seen this show up in any other publications, or any similar Webley Mk.IV/Enfield No.2 big bore projects?

Font Publication Book Advertising Poster
Photograph Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Revolver Motor vehicle Trigger Machine Font

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly! I can appreciate what the author was envisioning, a compact-frame, big bore break top, but I think he went about it all wrong. I wish I knew the rationale behind some of his decisions.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
In 1983 hardly anybody wanted one. Ugly heavy revolver in obsolete anemic"oddball" 38 S&W when 380 acp was considered the minimum for carry/self defense. Its heavy DAO kept it away from the local shooting ranges. With 146gr loads it wasn't a very accurate plinker. Gun shops that carried the round had to dust off the boxes when sold. Factory fresh 38 Special was a fraction of the price.
I bought one in 1987. NOS web belt, holster, and ammo pouch for $125 from a shop. That was after the gun was featured in a surplus magazine.

In 1983 that No2 was considered an affordable chassis for a custom build.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only 5 years earlier, the surplus dealer I bought from had them hanging on his wall for $32 (Canadian). I could have filled a duffle bag with them, but I was young and stupid and didn't have any time for revolvers. My eyes were fixed on my dream pistol, a mint Broomhandle Mauser with shoulder stock/holster for $400.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as a post-script to this thread, I've been contacted on another forum by someone who decided to pursue it a little further. I assumed after 40 years that everyone involved was either dead or drooling, but he looked up the gunsmith credited, Ken Genecco, and found he's still in business in the same town. He turns out to be a first-rate guy and, in his own words, possesses a photographic memory. He remembered the details and was quite willing to discuss the project. For me, the biggest question had been the barrel: It's obvious from the text that they used the original, and it didn't seem possible to me that someone could turn a .38 Enfield barrel into a .44. When the caller asked about that, he said it was marginal and that there was barely enough metal to do it. Most importantly, he felt that there was some individual variation in wall thickness and that they had picked one of the thicker ones. He was definite that there wouldn't be any chance of boring one out to .45, which is significantly larger than .44, in spite of the small difference that their nominal designations suggest. His opinion was that anyone wanting a .45 should just stick with the large-frame Webleys. The caller said that, even though Mr. Genecco told him the finished product worked just fine, he gave the distinct impression that it was purely a paying job and he wasn't a big fan. He also said he wished he lived closer, because he'd love to have Ken Genecco as his gunsmith of choice. Unfortunately, cross-border is not possible for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts