Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a sporterized enfield from my father. It has Many stamps on it, but the prominent one is the 1917. Rifle did not come with a magazine. I have another sporterized enfield dated 1944 that I took the mag out and tried to fit. no dice. channel that mag slides in is smaller than the '44 dated rifle. I know it is a long shot, but anyone have any clue what I got or at the least, where to get a mag for it or what kind of mag it takes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 1917 could be a #1mkIII, or the ShtLe MKIII. The 1944 could be a #4mk1. The magazines look simular, but do not interchange. The important markings are on the right side reciever ring (where the stock ataches) on the 1917, and the same important info in the 1944 would be on the left side reciever ring socket. Pass on that info and we can help you ID the rifle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, not sure how I missed looking on the right side of the weapon. Details in detail!! Turns out I have a ShtLe MKIII; markings appear exactly that. there are british crowns all over this thing. LSA is prominently stamped above the model #. With all the different stampings I am guessing this rifle has been to the depot many times for a rebuild. So only the smle or shtle magazines will work in my rifle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres some pics. Just couldn't get the camera to show the right side stampings but I did my best. Thanks for the help fellas. While I know she is no museam piece, she is a hand me down from my father and a few generations of family. I have carried it to hunt deer with no mag as a teen. That was exactly 25 years ago. hopefully these will load or I will upload and post a link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts