Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My grandfather passed away over 20 years ago and since that time has had some guns that are just sitting in a chest. I was looking them over recently and came across this one. It is outside of the area that I usually collect and I don't know too much about it. The bore looks like it might have some rifling under all the crud that is in there. The stock is rough. It seems to function fine and I can cock the lever and pull the trigger and it sounds like the firing pin functions. I was wondering if by looking at the markings on the stock if it might give a clue as to where it might have been used. Also, what a general estimate of its worth might be? Assuming I can get the bore cleaned up, where can you find ammo for it?
Thanks!

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/lowcountrygarand/slideshow/Martini Henry

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,250 Posts
Nice looking old rifle. thanks for the pictures.
Try wetting the bore with some type of bore cleaner/solvent. Let it set awhile then try a few passes with a brass brush, then some more wet patches.
As long as the crud keeps coming out just keep repeating.

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
Yes, it is .577/.450 caliber. The painted characters on the left side of the buttstock are usually seen on firearms used in India.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,415 Posts
Does it shoot 577-450? If so I found a place online selling 20 rounds for $140. Dang!!! I guess even if it does clean up good I won't be able to afford to shoot it that much.
Yep, chambered for 577/450 - and it isn't cheap to shoot, no. Brut great fun. I wouldn't call the stock that rough, but it could use some TLC. Echo the advice from NY50/70 on the bore.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips on cleaning the barrel. When I shine a light down there I can tell that there is deep rifling but it is pretty dark so hopefully it'll clean up nice. Can anybody comment on an estimated worth of the rifle. Maybe a worth in its current condition and what it would be worth assuming the barrel cleans up and it is in good shooting condition. I am excited to get to work on cleaning this thing up. My grandpa bought it probably 25-30 years ago and I doubt he ever actually shot it so who knows when the last time this thing was shot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the tips on cleaning the barrel. When I shine a light down there I can tell that there is deep rifling but it is pretty dark so hopefully it'll clean up nice. Can anybody comment on an estimated worth of the rifle. Maybe a worth in its current condition and what it would be worth assuming the barrel cleans up and it is in good shooting condition. I am excited to get to work on cleaning this thing up. My grandpa bought it probably 25-30 years ago and I doubt he ever actually shot it so who knows when the last time this thing was shot.
In general, they start around $375 on Gunbroker and range upwards to around $550 based on condition and bidding (no explainable pattern!). You can do a quick "Martini" search on GB anytime and get a snap shot. Uncleaned retail at IMA or AC are $450, cleaned much higher.

Yours appears complete and original, and I don't see any "NEP" under the rear sight nor a visible chandra box on the butt so assuming it went to India, but may not be part of the Nepalese Cache - something to factor into valuation.

The bore will probably clean up pretty well and you may find shooting it to be rather infectious - ready to fire rounds run about $5-6, reloading dies about $90 used, and if you reload, about $2 a round give or take.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts