Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shown here is the remains of IJN Nagato, looking much the worse for wear after the battle of the Phillipine Sea. Where it took few direct hits, but near misses sprung the hull so badly, it barely made it back to harbor. I say few as the bridge shows some serious damage! :eek:

A close friend got the negative file from the widow of a WWII naval veteran who was one one of the first ships into Japan after the surrender. My close friend has since passed away, and his money-grubbing brother threw the other negs away as he did not "think they were worth anything". :mad:

There were some exceptional pics - like US sailors inspecting suicide submarines which had the hatch on the bottom... the 2 man crew was bolted in by fellow sailors! :eek:

Back to the battleship... the remaining fuel had been pumped out for other ships and the secondary guns removed for use as shore batteries. Keep Away stencils were applied and it was eventually towed out to Bikini for the A-bomb test where it yet lays in the depths with the half life of the radioactivity slowly counting down to the day when divers can liesurely inspect it...

Thus ended an empire. SW

View attachment 7997

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awesome photo. Too bad the negatives were lost. Saw a show on the History Channel, Discovery Channel, or Military Channel called "Legends of Pearl Harbor" (I think). It was hosted by Dennis Haysbert, and they dove on both the Nagato and the Sartoga. The Nagato is upside down if I remember correctly.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
What a mess. Thanks for the posting.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,271 Posts
Divers can and have inspected it. The NPS Underwater Resources Unit has a book out on the survey they did at Bikini.

The picture is post-war, at Yokosuka and much of the apparent damage (removal of funnel and upper portion of mainmast) was from Japanese steps taken to make the ship less attractive to American aircraft that were making regular strikes on Japan at the end of the war. And the damage mainly from (especially) a series of carrier strikes, with thr one of July 18, 1945 hitting Nagato fairly hard. She was torpedoed by Skate off Truk in 1944, but repaired in time to be at Philippine Sea and Leyte gulf. Suffered minor damage at Leyte Gulf, then returned to Japan.

·
Registered
949 Posts
He did what! Unbelievable!! You could have reprinted those excellent pics and made some $$ on ebay...lol! What clear pics, thanks for posting.

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No other pics - just this ONE 8X10. My friend & I spent several days looking over the negs and separated several very interesting ones to be printed. Since Dad served in the Pacific, my friend printed this one to show him... Knowing Dad, I never showed it to him.

In the meantime, my friend became terminally ill and the negs were returned to one of the shoe boxes which were later burned with other 'junk'.

Some of the pics were of a Jap. airfield & showed several non-flyable military aircraft that had been partially cannibalized. One looked very much like a DC-3 but had 4 engines. There were some clear shots of unit markings on the aircraft. At one end of the airfield, the man took pics of several military aircraft that had been bombed & strafed - some bombers among them & one badly shot up sea plane.

Another showed field-expedient troop transport ships... a couple of small ships bearing Dutch names with wooden troop shelters having been built on the decks. Another like that had a name in Cyrillic. Then there were the suicide subs...

It activates my gag reflex to think of it! :mad: I even made a list of the ones I meant to print & put it in the shoe box... :(

This same idiot brother asked me to attend the estate auction to help run up the bids...

Yeah, right. Idiot! SW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts