Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I deserve all the mocking you care to throw at me, but is there any chance of finding a Model 1640 sear to replace the one I screwed up in a botched trigger job? Or are they impossible to find loose?

Lay it on me - I deserve it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Depends where you are located.
You can buy an aftermarket trigger or try contact Ken @ Kebco or Allan's @ Allan Armory if you are in the US of A. I am scared you will have to buy the whole trigger, though. Still a chance you realized it before trying it with a live round and this should serve as a lesson to anybody who wants to play thermselves with their trigger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, definitely learned it before inserting a live round. I'm my defense, I've done several trigger jobs on my own guns before, including a 1640 that turned out perfect ... I just have to claim stupidity on this one; I got carried away, worked too quickly and removed a hair too much. That's the risk we take when we work on our own stuff - but the hours of enjoyment are absolutely worth it to me.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well, except polishing the mating surfaces, I would not suggest anybody working on the lenghts / angles of the trigger mechanism. A good polishing (not in excess) usually solves had trigger pull. Changing the trigger spring may also be an option, but again, it's better left to a competent gunsmith.

FWIW The sear and cocking piece engagement angles and depth and even the trigger pressure are very important and most safety issues come from fooling with them.
The sear rest should be around 0.110"- 0.120" and the trigger pressure should never be under 3 1/2 pounds with a Mauser style trigger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with everything you've said but if one wants to remove long creep, you pretty much have to shorten the height of the sear a very small amount. My mistake on this one was going a hair too far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.