Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take my elevation knob screw out and can't remember how to instal it correctly.

I have found two sets of directions. One is totally cunfusing and the other tells me to bottom out the apreture and set elevation to 100yards with the apreture bottomed out.

Is this correct? Is the "M" supposed to be battle zero for 200 yards or what?
Im lost.

Is there a simple minded way to explain how to do this? :confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well.......
"M" is for the M14 sight which is marked in "meters" and was not used on WWII Garands which I assume you are talking about, but it does not matter as the sights on the M1/M14 are adjusted the same way.

If you have shot and zeroed the rifle then you know how many clicks of elevation you need to hit at 100yd and so on. If you have not zeroed then these steps do not matter until you have.

Not zeroed before:
Put sights together and run rear down all the way. Click it up from 5-7 clicks and center the rear left right movement(windage knob) on the rear gage line. Shoot at 100y/m until you hit the way you want it (center hold/6'oclock etc) making up or down & left/right adjustments till centered. When done, count the number of up clicks it took to get this zero. Run sight all the way down and loosen the center screw on the elevation knob. Align the (1)100 mark with the index line by rotating forward. From this point continue to rotate forward the number of clicks it took to get zero then stop. Tighten the screw. Now turn the elevation knob up the number of clicks to get your zero and your 100 line should be aligned with the index line and you are done.

Google FM 23-5 for more help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Scott.

I will print and try what you posted. I do remember having the sight bottomed out and hitting roughly 5 inches low at 100yards.

If all else fails I will simply sight it in at my 100 yard range, unscrew the knob and put it on the 100yard tick mark, right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes, you are correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts