Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't seen too many color photos (not colorized) from the North African campaign. A Life photographer was around at the time of the fighting near El Guettar. Some interesting photos.
Combat vehicle Tank Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Motor vehicle
Airplane Aircraft Vehicle Aviation Propeller-driven aircraft
Vehicle Soil Construction equipment Landscape Bulldozer
Vehicle Combat vehicle Tank Motor vehicle Military vehicle
Barechested Military organization Battle Landscape
Geological phenomenon Soil Rock Outcrop Geology

Army Soldier Military Military organization Infantry
Adaptation Soldier Games
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Landscape Military vehicle
Soil Landscape Soldier Military
Sky Cloud Horizon Human Landscape
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Self-propelled artillery Military vehicle

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And some more. I think those are British trucks in the background in the cemetery photo:
Tank Combat vehicle Vehicle Self-propelled artillery Churchill tank
Tank Combat vehicle Vehicle Military Ecoregion
Airplane Aircraft Vehicle Propeller Propeller
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Military vehicle Armored car
Tank Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery Churchill tank Motor vehicle

Yellow Tree Coin Plant Environmental art
Ecoregion Landscape Geology Soil Plain
Natural environment Ecoregion Landscape Sand Photography
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Military Military vehicle
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Mode of transport Military vehicle

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
49,848 Posts
Great pics!

Forgive my ignorance, but what type of aircraft is that in the third set of pictures. I don't believe I've ever seen that example before.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,574 Posts
Henschel Hs 129 Ground attack. "geflügelte Büchsenöffner" (winged can opener)
Beat me to it. Engines were French Gnome-Rhone radials. Had some variants that flew in the East with a 7.5cm BK in a gondola under the fuselage. Worked poorly in practice i understand, but anybody so unfortunate as to be in a T-34 or whatever that took a 75 up the eister was in a world of hurt.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,574 Posts
Oh - #10 in the first set is of George Patton, packing his ivory-gripped SAA in an S.D. Myers holster dating from the 1916 Mexico incursion when he was iieutenant.

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just realized that the picture with the guy putting the explosive under the tank is a Tiger. I assumed if was a Mark IV as that's what the rest were.

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a general search on Tunisia and came up with some more color photos:
Airplane Aircraft Aviation Vehicle Propeller-driven aircraft
Vehicle Mode of transport Road Military vehicle Tank
Combat vehicle Tank Vehicle Military vehicle Military
Hay Vehicle Land lot Straw Plain
Motor vehicle Vehicle Military vehicle Armored car Mode of transport
Text Landscape Font Thoroughfare Land lot

Vehicle Watercraft Ship
Landscape Vehicle Tank Shooting Combat vehicle
Airplane Aircraft Vehicle Military aircraft Air force
Airplane Vehicle Aircraft Sky Aviation
Airplane Aircraft Vehicle Aviation Propeller
Cannon Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Combat vehicle Mortar

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting the AAF painted the serial #s on their vehicles in Arabic as well the usual:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Transport Car
Vehicle Car Mode of transport Jeep Off-road vehicle
Airplane Vehicle Aircraft Rocket-powered aircraft Aerospace engineering
Vehicle Scrap Metal
Vehicle Soil Demolition Construction equipment
Headgear Vehicle

Vehicle Soldier
Ecoregion Landscape Tree Photography Tourism
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Military vehicle
Historic site Ruins Ancient history Ancient roman architecture Landmark
Sky Sea Waterway River Coast
Mode of transport People Transport Troop Army

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just realized that the picture with the guy putting the explosive under the tank is a Tiger. I assumed if was a Mark IV as that's what the rest were.
noticed it as a tiger also. also noticed the dudes tattooed arm, thought it was a more recent thing for service members to get tatted up

eta usual plug for "after the battle" magazine, which has a great issue on El Guettar, in my toolbox at work so cant give issue no.

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I figured that was a Tiger, it made sense of that series of photos. There are a few damaged Pzkw. IVs right near this unrecognizable chassis that's been blown up & is on fire in some of the shots, but there are no intact photos of the Mark VI. There are a number of shots of that chassis, though. Remember that the Western allies first encountered the Tiger I in Tunisia. That's where the specimens in the US & UK today came from. Looks like they were figuring out just how to blow up a Tiger here, and that the Life photographer may have been advised not to take photos of the tank before its demolition, or those photos were removed by the censors.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I figured that was a Tiger, it made sense of that series of photos. There are a few damaged Pzkw. IVs right near this unrecognizable chassis that's been blown up & is on fire in some of the shots, but there are no intact photos of the Mark VI. There are a number of shots of that chassis, though. Remember that the Western allies first encountered the Tiger I in Tunisia. That's where the specimens in the US & UK today came from. Looks like they were figuring out just how to blow up a Tiger here, and that the Life photographer may have been advised not to take photos of the tank before its demolition, or those photos were removed by the censors.
do you think the next pic in the series would be of said tiger in the process of beining blown to smithereens?

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do you think the next pic in the series would be of said tiger in the process of beining blown to smithereens?
Yes, and the immediate aftermath of the explosion I have out of sequence here, #7 in the first post. The photo with the two GIs walking down the road to look at the burning wreck.

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Accordinh to the wiki on the German war graves commission, there is a German military cemetery still in Egypt, at El Alamein, and one in Tunisia, at a place I can't remember the spelling of, and I'm on my phone, so can't really go back and look it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.