Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an Egyptian FN49 that prematurely detonates while ramping the cartridge. It has a
two piece firing pin.

Everything I've read indicates that the Egyptian FN does not have a firing pin safety stop to stop this premature detonation. The photos I see show the bolt doesn't have a firing pin safety slot milled in the bolt.

My gunsmith says the Egyptian doesn't have firing pin safety pins, though my bolt, with it's matching serial number in Arabic, has the firing pin safety slot milled in the bolt, but the safety pin stop is missing.

Does anyone have an Egyptian with this firing pin safety stop? Any photos? Any idea where I can purchase one? I've tried all the web channels, E-parts, Sarco, Northridge.

They wouldn't mill a firing pin safety slot in the bolt before they even knew it was a problem!
Does anyone have any history on this pin that's not supposed to exist?

Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
The first FN-49 production contract was for Venezuela. This contract used a firing pin safety stop (FPSS) design that was unique to this contract. Later, production of the Egyptian contract started while the first order of the Venezuelan contract was still in production.

The Egyptian contract did not specify an FPSS (no one knows why) and the bolts used on most of the Egyptian contract rifles were not milled for an FPSS. However, FN installed Venezuelan-pattern bolts in a number of Egyptian contract rifles (like yours) - probably as a production expedient when low of the Egyptian pattern bolts. Since the contract did not call for an FPSS, FN did not install one - even though the Venezuelan-pattern bolt would accept one.

In your case, if you wanted to install an FPSS - you would have to find the Venezuelan spring-type FPSS - these are not readily available from any source.

Goose

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first FN-49 production contract was for Venezuela. This contract used a firing pin safety stop (FPSS) design that was unique to this contract. Later, production of the Egyptian contract started while the first order of the Venezuelan contract was still in production.

The Egyptian contract did not specify an FPSS (no one knows why) and the bolts used on most of the Egyptian contract rifles were not milled for an FPSS. However, FN installed Venezuelan-pattern bolts in a number of Egyptian contract rifles (like yours) - probably as a production expedient when low of the Egyptian pattern bolts. Since the contract did not call for an FPSS, FN did not install one - even though the Venezuelan-pattern bolt would accept one.

In your case, if you wanted to install an FPSS - you would have to find the Venezuelan spring-type FPSS - these are not readily available from any source.

Goose

Thanks!

So do most of the Egyptians out there have a random explosion in your face? There's nothing left to buff/polish to a high sheen. Everything moves slick as a woman mud wrestler. Any info?

·
Registered
585 Posts
On an out-of-battery ignition - I usually come across about a half-dozen accounts of these types of incidents every year. Sometimes it's a broken 1-piece firing pin, which is why I have been on a crusade for a number of years now on the internet to get people to install the 2-piece pins. In other incidents, the causal factor is sometimes commercial ammunition with soft primers, or handloaded ammunition with sporting-type primers (instead of something like the CCI #34 mil-spec primer) or with primers seated high. Other cases have involved corroded ammo or dirty/corroded chambers that impeded the proper chambering of the round. Others I suspect may be related to rebuild activities where the aux sear was just dropped into the trigger group with no fitting.

However, there have been incidents of out-of-battery ignitions or slam-fires where no causal factor can be immediately identified. Absent any known deficiency in the design (other than the firing pin) it's difficult to blame these events on the rifle as it left the factory - so that leaves maintenance/serviceability, ammunition, or operator handling (like placing a single round in the chamber and dropping the bolt). Still, this rifle has had a reputation of these types of events for many years to the degree that some gunsmiths will not work on them.

These types of events are why I placed extensive cautions on the 1-piece firing pins, and on ammunition selection, in my book ....

Goose

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On an out-of-battery ignition - I usually come across about a half-dozen accounts of these types of incidents every year. Sometimes it's a broken 1-piece firing pin, which is why I have been on a crusade for a number of years now on the internet to get people to install the 2-piece pins. In other incidents, the causal factor is sometimes commercial ammunition with soft primers, or handloaded ammunition with sporting-type primers (instead of something like the CCI #34 mil-spec primer) or with primers seated high. Other cases have involved corroded ammo or dirty/corroded chambers that impeded the proper chambering of the round. Others I suspect may be related to rebuild activities where the aux sear was just dropped into the trigger group with no fitting.

However, there have been incidents of out-of-battery ignitions or slam-fires where no causal factor can be immediately identified. Absent any known deficiency in the design (other than the firing pin) it's difficult to blame these events on the rifle as it left the factory - so that leaves maintenance/serviceability, ammunition, or operator handling (like placing a single round in the chamber and dropping the bolt). Still, this rifle has had a reputation of these types of events for many years to the degree that some gunsmiths will not work on them.

These types of events are why I placed extensive cautions on the 1-piece firing pins, and on ammunition selection, in my book ....

Goose
Yes, the first time it happened it was from a broken one piece firing pin. I replaced it with a two piece pin thinking my problems were over. Ha. Maybe I'd better start shooting my corrosive 50's yugo 8mm with the hard primers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wow that is scary, I got one of thes a while back and only fired it a few times.
I'm gonna check this immediatly.

While once I could eat a pound of nails for breakfast, steel is no longer in my diet.

Glad you ain't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts