Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a new stock and handguard and can buy a 30-06 FN49 stock and handguard. anyone know if it can be modified to fit? or a replacement or repro source for stocks? many thanks...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hannah, my CAI Egyptian resides in a Belgian 30-06 stock set. I'm at work right now so I can't verify it but I seem to remember that the only issue is that there was a gap between the wood and the 8mm trigger guard. I seem to remember that the 30-06 TG is longer than it's 8mm cousin but the mounting points are the same so an 8mm TG will bolt up to a 30-06 stock. Otherwise everything dropped in and looked outstanding, esp. compared to that ugly wood and plastic buttplate that CAI used. Has a nice tiger striped grain. And considering that this gun was a shooter and would be of little interest to a collector I didn't lose a moment's sleep over it. Bought the stock set from Northridge for around $100 (this was probably 5-6 yrs ago). I'm sure Wayne can verify this and straighten me out if my memory's faulty (wouldn't be the first time!). Considering that this question pops up every 3-4 months we might want to consider a sticky on the subject. Good luck on finding a replacement stock!
mawkie

·
Registered
585 Posts
All of the FN-49 stocks have common trigger guard screw spacing, upper inletting is essentially the same, inletting for the trigger guard is different - one inletting scheme for the early TG (used on the Egyptian contract) and another scheme for the late TG (used for later contracts) ... an "early" TG will drop into the late inletting (with gaps) - a "late" TG will NOT drop into early inletting. Then, there are detail differences regarding some minor clearance cuts and of course different inletting for the various butt plates.

Many people have installed 30-06 stocks on Egyptian contract rifles. The modifications required are to deal with:

Crossbolt/recoil lug
Trigger guard rear screw bushing (if necessary)
Safety axis shaft clearance cut (if necessary)

The used 30-06 stocks that are available (take-offs from Belgian contract rifles) will usually have a crossbolt. The Crown-crested Egyptian contract receivers do not have a clearance cut for the crossbolt - you either mill the receiver to clear, remove the crossbolt and plug the holes, or just grind away the crossbolt internally (most people choose the latter).

The rear TG screw bushing sits flush with the upper and lower bedding surfaces on the early stocks. The later 30-06 stocks will usually have the bushing standing proud (above the bedding surface) both upper and lower - the bushing may have to be removed, shortened, and reinserted.

Safety clearance cut. The early TG assemblies had the safety axis shaft (opposite end from the lever) project from the side of the TG - the stock had a clearance cut at this point. Later stocks, inlet for the later TG assembly, did not have this cut.

After you take care of the above items, a 30-06 stock on an Egyptian contract rifle gives you at least an FN-produced walnut stock, but with the wrong buttplate, with the remnants of a crossbolt, and with inletting gaps at the rear and sides of the TG assembly (due to contour differences between the early and later TG assemblies [which have nothing to due with cartridge chambering BTW]).

It's really not hard ...

Goose

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great info

thats really great info...mine is early and all bolt parts are matching... stock has several arsenal repairs and is pretty much wasted though cant see any numbers or marks matching... great info... i may do it maybe not... depends what can find,,, great posts and thanks for excellent info.........

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
allthough not my thread id like to thank you guys as i also have been considering doing this myself,i have one of the cai egyptian fns and hate that stock,,thanks for all the info guys,now to find a good stock for it

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
The only other issue would be the butt plate. The stocks from the Lux. and Belgian rifles used the stamped metal plates which wrapped around the stock slightly. I guess you could cut that part off and then screw the standard brass plate on in it's place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts