Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is asked several times but I seem to forget. Whats the ruling on these two ? Are they legal on a case to case basis depending if they are approved by California Law?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both are completely legal to own in CA. In order for a dealer to sell a pistol to the public, it must be listed by the Attorney General as having passed the testing carried out by the state. In the case of the Mak, the Bulgie was submitted for testing and passed. It was for sale by many dealers. I think the listing expired, or is going to expire real soon now. I doubt it will be renewed, as it is expensive and there isn't an importer with enough stock to pay for it. This is true for most older guns that are no longer manufactured. The makers just let them drop off the list, even S+W and Glock have let guns "go extinct."

That does NOT mean they are illegal to own or sell. You can own just about any pistol ever made, and you can sell it if you wish. To sell a non listed firearm, you must do a "face-to-face" deal. This is done at a licensed firearms dealer, includes the 10 day waiting period and the gun is registered with the AG. I have bought off list guns in this way, including guns that were never on the list in the first place (like the Kel-Tec P-32). So if you want to buy or sell a Mak in CA, have you buyer or seller meet you at a gun dealer and do the paperwork. After that it is just like any other sale, though it does not count against the one gun per 30 days rule.

Good luck,

CA

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
All EG Maks are fine. Only blued, CAI import marked Bulgies are okay. Arsenal Commercial, PW Arms Import or CAI Black Navy Chromed Maks are not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CW,

You are correct as far as dealer sales are concerned, but anyone can own any Mak that has a mag that holds 10 or fewer rounds. Hi caps are another story and can be grandfathered in, but that is way too complex to go into here.

I have a good friend who collects Maks (he got me interested and I bought a Bulgie) and he has purchased almost every type you can imagine. Each was purchased legally, with paperwork submitted to the state AG's office. Ownership is no problem, you just have to find someone to sell to you directly.

CA

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The threaded Mak barrels are not are they? Even a 22LR conversion, because it has a threaded barrel to tighten a nut down to the slide. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
The threaded Mak barrels are not are they? Even a 22LR conversion, because it has a threaded barrel to tighten a nut down to the slide. :(
I believe you are correct--no threaded barrels.

I would imagine you could buy a surplus barrel, and have the conversion installed as a liner--and remove the threads. Then the barrel would be a permanent .22lr conversion barrel--so interchangeability would be an issue....but at least you could have a CA legal .22lr Makarov!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
CW,

You are correct as far as dealer sales are concerned, but anyone can own any Mak that has a mag that holds 10 or fewer rounds. Hi caps are another story and can be grandfathered in, but that is way too complex to go into here.

I have a good friend who collects Maks (he got me interested and I bought a Bulgie) and he has purchased almost every type you can imagine. Each was purchased legally, with paperwork submitted to the state AG's office. Ownership is no problem, you just have to find someone to sell to you directly.

CA
What I was trying to say was that those three are currently the only Makarovs that you can bring into the state for retail sale. I'm aware that the other types can be bought if they were already in state and by Private Party Transfer. The main problem is finding someone in state that has it and wants to sell!
Luckily I have just about every model withe the exception of Bulgarian Chromed and Miltex variations.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,708 Posts
Both are completely legal to own in CA. In order for a dealer to sell a pistol to the public, it must be listed by the Attorney General as having passed the testing carried out by the state. In the case of the Mak, the Bulgie was submitted for testing and passed. It was for sale by many dealers. I think the listing expired, or is going to expire real soon now. I doubt it will be renewed, as it is expensive and there isn't an importer with enough stock to pay for it. This is true for most older guns that are no longer manufactured. The makers just let them drop off the list, even S+W and Glock have let guns "go extinct."

That does NOT mean they are illegal to own or sell. You can own just about any pistol ever made, and you can sell it if you wish. To sell a non listed firearm, you must do a "face-to-face" deal. This is done at a licensed firearms dealer, includes the 10 day waiting period and the gun is registered with the AG. I have bought off list guns in this way, including guns that were never on the list in the first place (like the Kel-Tec P-32). So if you want to buy or sell a Mak in CA, have you buyer or seller meet you at a gun dealer and do the paperwork. After that it is just like any other sale, though it does not count against the one gun per 30 days rule.

Good luck,

CA
I am glad that I don't live in Ca. Here, in Texas, 2 state residents can meet at gunshow, trade guns,
and be on their way in a couple of minutes. If you buy from a dealer you still have Federal
requirements, Concealed Handgun License removes need for NICS check

1 - 9 of 9 Posts