Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My latest bayonet,an Enfield made 1903 model.There is nothing particularly special about it..scabbard has light pitting on the metal work and there's also acceptable light pitting on the bayonet cross guard and pommel,the blade is straight and unsharpened and has a dull grey colour about it.There's a light EFD stamped on the ricasso and a much sharper EFD stamp on the end of the pommel.
.There's a few queries about the marking that I have so I'm hoping the forum members can help with them!
There's no month or date stamped on the ricasso under the 1903 model stamp,however there is a faint "01" stamped under the blued ricasso section..hard against the cross guard....so I'm wondering if the blade is from a 1888 bayonet??
The leather scabbard has some markings stamped on...I'm thinking they are inspectors marks?....not sur about the 00 though.
How can y'tell if a 1903 bayonet has utilised a 1888 blade as opposed to one that's used a newly made 1903 blade?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The EFD stamp at the pommel end is what tells us that this Patt. 1903 was converted at RSAF, Enfield from a Patt. 1888.
The '01 stamp on the ricasso is probably a re-inspection date from its former life.
Very nicely stamped scabbard!!
Broad Arrow = govt. ownership
Next is inspection stamp, then very probably date stamp ('00).
Regards,
JMB

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!...
I should have posted these markings in my earlier post!....I'm not sure if I've got them in the right orientation....so I'm hoping someone can identify them for me please....they might be something or nothing!
Am I right in thinking that any 1888 blade markings would have been removed when the blade was modified to 1903 pattern?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Single, upper case letters are relatively common on the tang of the blade; they are thought to indicate view marks during manufacture.
The Patt. 1903 was the first British bayonet to bear the pattern year on the blade, so there was no '1888' to remove.
However, the Victorian crown and cypher (VR) would both have been scrubbed and replaced with the Edwardian equivalents.

Regards,
JMB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.