Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new bolt for my 1917 LSA No.1 Mk. III. Took the cocking piece and mated it with the existing (fitted) bolt body and bolt head (concerned for headspace).

Here is what I received:

Tool Trigger

Note: The cocking piece is numbered but did not match the bolt body that it came with (I did not break up a matched set).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
So what are you looking for in the way of education?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.
What does the 'NS' on the bolthead mean?
What does the 'I' on the cocking piece mean?
And, by keeping the original bolt head and bolt body, will my headspace be (virtually) the same as it was? Ie. the cocking piece does not effect headspace?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
As far as I know, the "NS" stands for "Non Standard", referring to the steel of the bolthead. Not sure what the "I" means, and the cocking piece won't affect headspace, but may affect trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
On an SMLE non-standard usually means some hand fitting was required to make the part fit properly. The NS was also to let the armourer know that some extra work might be involved in repairing the rifle if it should turn up on his bench.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which would explain why the bolt head rotates off the ribway with minimal effort, forward of the charger bridge. I wonder why they took the time to stamp it and hand fit it to a rifle? Why not just dispose of it, it is just a bolt head?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.