Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,512 Posts
My mention of $2000 was more of a "I'm not letting it go price".

I did sell a non-refurbished all original (but missing it's volley sights) Winchester P14 with New Zealand provenance last year for $1500 though...
I think the NZ marking is why the buyer accepted my outlandish price which I then grudgingly accepted.
Not all that unusual. I have a few pieces that I knowingly paid more than the going rate for, simply because I absolutely, positively, had to have them, hang the expense. And I never regretted it, because if the quality is there, the prices will catch up. Usually, sooner than you'd expect.

Could be just my own impression, but NZ markings seem to be more interesting to US than the typical British proofs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Years ago I had a perfect, unrebuilt/refurbished Remington M1917 that I foolishly sold for a relative pittance. Fast forward twenty years and I had been looking for another M1917 and came upon a Ogden rebuilt Winchester at a LGS for $700. I dithered around for a couple of days and even though I thought the price was about a hundred dollars too much, I bought it anyway. Three years later I am glad that I got it and proved the old "I didn't pay too much, I just bought it a little early" adage. If I had a choice between an Eddystone or a Remington, I would probably go for the Remington just because I have a nearly pristine Remington P14 and it would be nice to have a Remington M1917 to go with it. Otherwise, I don't think there is a nickels worth of difference between the two manufacturers.

My advice it to buy the one with the best bore and, if you can, get one that hasn't been rebuilt.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Years ago I had a perfect, unrebuilt/refurbished Remington M1917 that I foolishly sold for a relative pittance. Fast forward twenty years and I had been looking for another M1917 and came upon a Ogden rebuilt Winchester at a LGS for $700. I dithered around for a couple of days and even though I thought the price was about a hundred dollars too much, I bought it anyway. Three years later I am glad that I got it and proved the old "I didn't pay too much, I just bought it a little early" adage. If I had a choice between an Eddystone or a Remington, I would probably go for the Remington just because I have a nearly pristine Remington P14 and it would be nice to have a Remington M1917 to go with it. Otherwise, I don't think there is a nickels worth of difference between the two manufacturers.

My advice it to buy the one with the best bore and, if you can, get one that hasn't been rebuilt.
Similar story here, several years back at a gun show I paid 800 for a
unrebuilt/refurbished Eddy. At the time I thought that was way to much. Reflecting back now I am very happy I bought it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
please educate me , P14 is "303 british" made for export to British empire during the war , M1917 is "30.06 " USA service rifle . I'm Wondering who made the two groove version of these rifles , was it Canadian

·
Registered
395 Posts
please educate me , P14 is "303 british" made for export to British empire during the war , M1917 is "30.06 " USA service rifle . I'm Wondering who made the two groove version of these rifles , was it Canadian
Johnson Automatics Inc. made two groove replacement barrels for M1917's during WWII.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought both. They both ended up being great shooters. $600 would be a good deal on a mixed parts in good condition for internet prices. More likely more like $700 is more realistic. Every gunner on YouTube has one and says they’re almost gone at those prices.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, if the rifle has the original barrel, it has not been rebuilt? If so, the barrel should be stamped E for Eddystone, R for Remington or W for Winchester and the flaming bomb and date?

Bill

·
Copper Bullet member
2,512 Posts
You're probably thinking of the No. 4 rifle. Some Long Branch (Canadian) production had two groove barrels. Also some made in the U.S. by Savage. No original production P14 or Model 1917 rifles had two groove barrels.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,512 Posts
So, if the rifle has the original barrel, it has not been rebuilt? If so, the barrel should be stamped E for Eddystone, R for Remington or W for Winchester and the flaming bomb and date?

Bill
Correct as to barrel markings, although it gets a little complicated when it comes to refurbished rifles. Most 1917s were probably refurbished at some point after WW1. Some, more than once. If in good condition, that might just involve a quick once over, but normally, they'd be taken down, cleaned, any worn parts would be replaced, and they would then be reassembled and returned to storage.
Replacing the barrel was more of a chore, and wouldn't normally be done unless the one on the rifle was worn out or damaged. So a rifle may well have gone through a rebuild, but still have its original barrel.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

Bill
Very few 1917's have escaped the rebuild process.
Most that appear to be original have been "corrected".

I have a pretty good supply of 1917 parts (not Gun Parts or Sarco supply but enough to rebuild a few rifles) and I couldn't tell you how many times people have contacted me looking to buy all Winchester or Remington parts.

I wouldn't be too awful concerned about originality, if you search out a true original it will either take some time or some serious money, or both, probably both.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If I had to buy a rifle without very detailed examination, I would go for either a Remington Ilion or Winchester before an Eddystone. But if you get a good Eddystone it is likely to be just as good.

There are problems which can cause accidents with an M1917. A few have "burnt" steel from overheating, and others are glass-hard. They can also have cracks in the receiver ring. I have seen it said that the latter develops only in the rebarrelling process, but I don't know, and it becomes a shade less likely in view of the square thread, which doesn't extend outward force. I do know cracks have been found discoloured for part of their length, and newly extended into fresh metal.

None of those call for panic fear. They affect a small minority of rifles, but Eddystones more than the others. Magnaflux testing would show up a crack, but anybody can soak it in gasoline, wipe it dry, and watch to see if any weeps out of a crack. Things are easier for anyone sporterising a rifle. You get the chopped-off rear sight ears to experient on, and if drilling the receiver ring turns out two long, wiry chips, the steel is good. A snag for the sporteriser is the Great Oval Hole under the rear sight spring, which all Eddystones have, one of the other factories rarely (I forget which) and the other never. But that doesn't matter if you are keeping the rifle original, as anyone with a half-decent example nowadays should.

The Enfields are about the easiest of all military bolt-action rifles to remove a barrel from, if you don't want the old barrel or are prepared to set it back a thread in its new life. The threads themselves aren't tight, and they tighten up the barrel shoulder against the front of the action, rather than the barrel's rear against an internal stop-ring as 98 Mausers do. Make a shallow hacksaw cut as close to the receiver as you can, and you release the tension, making the barrel easy to unscrew.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just recently picked up a Remington 1917, I too was deciding between a Remington or Eddystone. For me I chose the Remington, just because there were fewer made. It happened to be all Remington, original blued finish, unsanded wood, except for an eddystone bolt shroud (trying to replace if anyone has R marked blued shroud). As others have stated above, just inspect the receiver well if it's been re-barreled. Both manufacturers have good interesting history, it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old experiences with US Enfields.

From the ‘sixties when I began collecting British military rifles as well as a huge collection of Lee rifles and carbines I had four P14’s, Remington, Eddystone, Eddystone No2 Mk II Winchester Patt ‘14 Sniper. They were all superbly manufactured but the Winchester finish was the best.
In the early eighties I bought three Eddystone M17 bare receivers with shot barrels and when I removed the first barrel it went off like a pistol shot. I made a hacksaw cut just in front of the receiver ring for the next two and they unscrewed by hand. I had heard about receivers cracking so I did the petrol test on the first one and there was no damage.
I shaped the rear of the receivers to a low Mauser profile, acquired all the pieces to complete the actions, bought three stock blanks of English walnut and had a gunsmith friend fit barrels, scope mounts, and forge the front of the trigger guards and bolt handles straight before I cut off the knobs, reversed them and had them welded to the bolt handles. I also reduced the magazine depths to remove the belly of the originals
The first rifle was in 45-70 with P’14 bolt and magazine box and the next two were in 375-338 and 7mm Rem Mag. I sold the 45-70 but have kept the other two.
All my British military rifles from an 1889 Magazine Rifle Mark I(thanks to my old mate Ian Skennerton) to a 1967 Ishapore 7.62 Rifle No2A1 have gone to new homes.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There was only one at the show yesterday and it had a highly polished bolt for $600.00 so I passed. Another member is bringing one to the AMCA show in Huntsville next Friday for me to look at. Fingers crossed it will be a good one.

Bill

21 - 40 of 76 Posts