Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caught this just as I was shutting the computer down last night. Only 25 views and it was listed in the wrong category. Only the one picture. Hopefully it's not a Shanghai Special!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
The Gras bayonet, has a very pronounced "hump", on the brass pommel. This has been milled down, to make the spine of the handle more flat. Also. a notch has been milled in the back of the muzzle ring, to accomodate the barrel shroud of the M88 Commission Rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick -

As per TWF's comments..., would add that many/most of these were done by the Germans during the early war period (1915-16) when the standard bayonets were in short supply and the demand was greatest, the "Ersatz Bayonet" timeframe. Some have German stamps on them, but many don't. Will have to wait and see on this one. There are many slight variations to these modified Gras bayonets so that will have to wait also to determine which this is. In Roy William's new book there is a very interesting photo of a Commission 88 rifle that has had the upper band stud modified as part of the alteration to accept a Gras bayonet.

- Best Regards! Mike

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hello Folks -

Ed, the mailman, tore up the drive today with the bayonet. Disn't have time for coffee though, going away for the weekend.

Anyhow, what a pleasant surprise! It is a conversion for the Gew. 88 for sure. Fits like a glove and has some interesting aspects. Couldn't find an exact match in Carter's or Roy W's books, but will check again. It appears to have had the following alterations:

- Muzzle ring ground about 4mm. as per photos
- Top of pommel ground off 2mm.
- Grips disassembled and spring removed
- Crossguard (steel shank between grips lengthened 3-4mm.) moved forward
- Catch on the press stud in the slot, ground off about 4mm. to move it back.

Unfortunately it does not have any regimentals or German stamps, and it need a cleaning, but it has a pristine blade. Photos of it next to the standard Gras. Note the strange indentations where it looks like it may have been extended.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike​
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Guys: IIRC; these were done by South American countries who bought GEW 88 Rifles before WW 1. The Germans did this when the sold the surplus 88's to the various countries. All of the wartime examples I have seen had German marks on them, but this one could be either usage...It is hard to tell from the pix.....Homer Brett claimed once that the wartime examples were proofed, I have no way of verifying this theory,and it has been since the 70's when he told me this...

Nonetheless; a very nice example you have there.........

Dale

1 - 11 of 11 Posts