Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone managed to get my password on eBay and post 4 phony auctions for $500 Walmart Gift Cards. I hadn't used ebay for some time, didn't get any notification until a couple of the auctions ended.

And I wasn't one of the accounts in the security breach of last week - below:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137765/article.html

I maintain high security, NEVER respond directly to ANY emails from anything that has anything to do with money, credit or bank accounts. I always go to the website on my own. No idea how they did this, but I've changed ALL my passwords everywhere.

Thankfully all payment was by PayPal and attempts to transfer the money to the crooks bank account failed. The Paypal account was frozen, but for some reason only after I logged on to see what was happening and got a printout of the transactions. Apparently the unauthorized transfer failures weren't enough to trigger any action.

And now I'm getting no emails from PayPal and only the pro forma emails from eBay. Not real happy about the PayPal response as it took forever to get an agent and all the attempts to unlock my account failed due to lack of emails.

Right now I'm ticked off enough, even though I didn't lose any money (there's $1680 from the fake auctions sitting in my PayPal account), to drop both eBay and PayPal.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Never respond to an eBay email that hasn't been sent or shows up under the My eBay page. If eBay sent you a message, it will show up in this page, otherwise don't answer it. I get several emails that do not show up on this page and therefore I ignore them. That's one way they can get your personal info. since you have to log on with your password. They may have done it also thru your PayPal account. You may also receive a "verify your personal account" email from Paypal, which is another method to steal the info.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Boycott E-Bay, Pay Pal and Half.com! Close your accounts and then you won't have any problems. JMHO

·
Registered
120 Posts
stink bait

From all I've read about how they misbehave there I've never been too tempted to be become involved with stink bait....err I mean E-bay. Same for PayPal.

Same reason I never became involved with BATF in order to get a 03FFL. They behave irresponsibly, you can't count on anything they say. Worse yet....we unfortunately are forced to fund it involuntarily.

Not so with E-Bay. I have a choice. Nothing on E-bay I can't live without.

My wife got involved with them, but then she still occasionally shops at that God awfull place that defended Rosie O'Pig's dispicable actions, K-Mart.

Life is full of risk, but I decided that dealing with these companies and agencies unecessarily carries too much risk to the way of life I value........Mike

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Cancelled my account a while back. If I need something they have I can get a freind to bid for me. In fact, I have his info on my CPU and occasionally I bid for him on other auctions when he is working and can't get to a computer.

regards
badger

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm convinced that it's an EBay inside job. Price we pay for all those "outsourced IT jobs". How else did they know you don't use your account much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts