Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
11,134 Posts
I seem to have missed out on something here. If you wouldn't mind describing what constitutes an "eaton" Carcano, I'll add the information to my notes. That said, I have fired Carcanos converted by Greece and Austria to that caliber. SW

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The EATON Carcano is a sporterized Carcano built sometime in the '30's and sold in Canada, they were rebarreled to fire the 6.5x54 MS round because carcano ammo was hard to come by at that time, what they did was cut off the original barrel and left a stub which was threaded and a new Austrian made barrel was screwed in to the remaining stub, they were also fitted with a double set trigger and pistol grip added to the stock, they are different, if you google Eaton Carcano you will find info on them, they get a bad rap because some people think the barrel was secured with a set screw which it's not, it is screwed in and there is a set screw to keep the barrel from working loose, as long as you shoot standard ammo in them they are fine from the research I've done, that is as long as you've checked out the rifle carefully to begin with.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
as a bolt action sporting rifle collector I find it interesting
imho, this eaton carcano's were made completly in austria for the trade but I wonder where they got then. dont believe the italiens sold surplus rifles in the 1930s.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
as a bolt action sporting rifle collector I find it interesting
imho, this eaton carcano's were made completly in austria for the trade but I wonder where they got then. dont believe the italiens sold surplus rifles in the 1930s.
Italian Rifles were to be found in Austria, Hungary and Czechoslovakia after WW I; The Hungarian and Austrian (Capture) rifles were returned to Italy in 1919-20s, whilst the Czech ones were from the Italian Czech Legion, formed in 1917 in Northern Italy from POWs and US Czech immigrants. Various Films about the "Border" determination period of 1920-25 show Carcano Cav Carbines in use by both "Rebels" and Czech Border troops ( The new Republic of Czechoslovakia had Border Problems with both the Poles, and the Hungarians, and related "ethnic" Movements.

BY the 1930s, CZ had relinquished nearly all its "Foreign" guns (M95s, MN91s, and Carcano 91s) back to their countries of origin or to arms dealers. This is one possible source of "commercialized" Carcano Sporters in the 1930s Austria....a "Middle Class Mannlicher".

Just my view of the Interwar Arms Trade..

BTW, Italy/Italian Arms Merhantns sold 57,000 (some say 78,000) M91 Long rifles to Fujian Province, China, in about 1927 ("Type 65").

Doc AV

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
thanks
the shiny stock seems to have some kind of varnish on it, definetely not original

I have no doubt that the hole rifle was build in austria for the trade and the stock was "only" oiled
but what means "only" because its the only way!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The upper one also has a hole drilled through the fore-end that I am sure was for a sling swivel. They also both have plugs to fill in where the cleaning rod went. I am sure the varnish was added later as that stock is in rougher shape. The "6.5 mm" marking is the only one on the gun. There are no other markings on the guns at all including serial numbers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.