Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did the EGs make their handguards red with everything else brown? Is it a higher quality material? Since it has no heatshield will it melt if its fired alot in a short time period? I just got a set & had some questions, Im gonna try to trade it for a wood set I think.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Some camrades find the late-model East German furniture flimsy yet that objection is not widely held by those who are using the material.

Nope, won't melt under any circumstances.

Seems most who find the stuff inferior just don't care for the looks of it. OTOH it used to be exceptionally inexpensive and just about all there was around to purchase as replacement furniture in years gone by.

Try the kit. You may well like it.

How 'bout posting a pic when you do.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There are a plenty of E.German AKM's in Iraq, most probably over 25+ yrs old and still wearing the plastic furniture, the plastic is not scratch resistant by any means but thats just cosmetics...I'd say its durable.

There is just somthing about the look of the DDR MPiKM, its got that "cool" factor.

Heres a pic of mine done up with a early wooden handguard

·
Registered
869 Posts
I never liked the slippery feel of the brown plastic upper gas tube cover, but thats how they were issued so I would leave it , the plastic looks better when they get used and scuffed and not so shiney.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,
For having been there, I know that Central Africans prefer wooden furnitures and therefore modify their guns (Chinese, EG's, ...) by replacing the bakelite or the plastic handguards. They say it is overheating when firing long bursts. And more, they put no confidence in plastic stuffs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Kingly King, you bring up an interesting - and useful - point about this furniture. It does fit both 1mm and 1.6mm frame rifles. That has been my experience too. This seems counterintuitive but ... truth is truth.

Endulge in your East German muse with confidence.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi,
For having been there, I know that Central Africans prefer wooden furnitures and therefore modify their guns (Chinese, EG's, ...) by replacing the bakelite or the plastic handguards. They say it is overheating when firing long bursts. And more, they put no confidence in plastic stuffs.
Perhaps, but they also believe in witch doctors. From what I've seen in the dark continent appearances count for more than maintenance.

Personally I find the EG furniture rather fugly but don't doubt it's functionality.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got & then traded my EG stock set for a 1980s Hungarian SA-85 stock set. Pretty good deal huh? Gonna put the handguards on my AMD & trim a gas tube to fit. Gonna be cool, Also got an orange Polish bakelit grip to put on it. I'll show you guys on here when I finish.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well ... your failure to use those night sights, warfare, is perfectly understandable.

The Soviet Army doctrine of the day was that such sights were to be used when the rifle's selector switch was at the "primary mode of operation" position. Sadly your rifle and ours have no such position. Pity that. We're all the poorer for it.

They are a substitue, I believe, for sufficiently extensive personal training. Should you hang out with the rifle for any "significant" length of time 24-7 and use it you'll soon enough learn how to point it effectively in low- or no-light situations.

Best regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts