Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went today and picked up my new Makarov today 160$ after tax. Now I need to find an original set of grips and a screw the one in it is not like the one in my Bulgarian Mak. it is round and will not set flush with the grips. I also recieved 7 bonus rounds in the spare mag. Thanks for all of the help with this purchase and enjoy the pics. This is what the thrill of the hunt is all about.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Triva Question for the Mak community

Man! You have got to be kidding me!!! :eek: That looks great, and the price... you ought to be ashamed of yourself. :eek: Really nice deal Mister. :)
A little history on the "C" grip you have there. Only the oldest and most versed veteran of the Makarov collecting clan will know this question. What does it stand for???
I will post the correct answer if nobody comes up with it.
Here is a pic of the Red Star and East German screws together. Click on the pic to enlarge.

View attachment 6366

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Actually, both of those screws could be German, they did both types. I don't recall which was first. One type was essentially identical to Russian/Bulgarian screws.

Nor do I ever really recall the C being discussed. There is an R version too. I have in the past speculated the C was for the importer Century and the R likewise for Ruko, but I don't think it ever got past the postulation phase. :)

SlimTim

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About what would be the going price on these? I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning it was filthy inside and the screw is correct for the pistol. Now I just need to find a set of grips.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now I need to find an original set of grips and a screw the one in it is not like the one in my Bulgarian Mak
Uhhh. Yeah. That's kind of a nasty looking grip on the one you got there.

A Bulgarian will be easy to find, but do make the effort to find the German grip. I have one, and for me it's "just right".

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is one nice find! Congrats. The East German grip will make a huge difference. You might even want to consider a set of wood grips from Dennis Marschal. A nice Makarov like that deserves a set of wood grips.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The "C" Stands For...

The "C" stands for CHEESEY! :D :D :D Sorry, that was really not good of me. Lee n. field was the closest with his comment. I agree, the black EG grip, or "Dennis" grips is the way to go. Here is my EG with the custom Dennis Grips. Milspec2, really an outstanding deal! They fetch $350-$400. :cool:
Click Pic to enlarge:
View attachment 6496

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great deal you picked up there!

I'll look tonight, but I should have a decent spare East German grip buried in a box at home.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the appropriate original grip for your 63 EG would be the one with the lanyard hole on the back of the grip.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the appropriate original grip for your 63 EG would be the one with the lanyard hole on the back of the grip.
The use the of the lanyard was Unit dependant, not all units or persons who a pistol was issued to used the Lanyard. (support staff grade officers for example, also persons who would not normally see active combat, and those whose job functions were such that a hanging cord could be a hazzard)

1962 was the transistion year from the older Fluted style EG grips to the later Wide head EG grip and screw, so either style would be correct for a 1962 or 1963.

-George

1 - 14 of 14 Posts