Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
They Don't exist.
But, You have one, I have one, Geladen has one, and Darn I can't remember...Maybe Ball has one
Mine is nowhere near a good condition as yours..I would be Very Surprised if these are not "Put-togethers"!!!
No way a Receiver as Pitted as Mine has a barrel as good as it has!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Is the bolt matching numbers to the receiver? Is that a CZ mark on the underside of the bolt root? Is the stock scalloped for the bolt handle? Is the stock numbered to the rifle, if so, where are the numbers located? Can you provide photos showing the overall side views, right and left and receiver/with bolt overall top and right side?

Interesting rifle. May be a FrankenMauser but I like it.

Thanks ismith,

Vlad

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has no pitting whatsoever beneath the wood line. It has a like new barrel with the only marking being 7.89 and a crown over N. The bolt body looks to be a Zastava replacement (from the late 50's perhaps?). The stock was shimmed with a few strips of cloth tape similar to athletic tape.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the bolt matching numbers to the receiver? Is that a CZ mark on the underside of the bolt root? Is the stock scalloped for the bolt handle? Is the stock numbered to the rifle, if so, where are the numbers located? Can you provide photos showing the overall side views, right and left and receiver/with bolt overall top and right side?

Interesting rifle. May be a FrankenMauser but I like it.

Thanks ismith,

Vlad
Yes the bolt matches the receiver. It's a Zastava marked bolt. Yes the stock has the standard K98 scollop. The stock is numbered on the bottom edge of the butt, and in the barrel channel if I remember correctly. I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow, the lighting is far from ideal right now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
East German (DDR) K98? Is this a post war build by the DDR, on an FN receiver? What are the DDR proof Markings? Are there any indications of build year or factory? Did they adopt the pre war German crown over N proof? More pictures, please.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
East German (DDR) K98? Is this a post war build by the DDR, on an FN receiver? What are the DDR proof Markings? Are there any indications of build year or factory? Did they adopt the pre war German crown over N proof? More pictures, please.
Yep DDR K98, I believe it to be a DDR rebuild of a Nazi build/rebuild. It has a K1 in a rectangle on the pistol grip and a triangle in the sling cut. The gloss bluing and placement of the serial numbers all point to DDR refinish, the serial number on the stock looks less fresh if that makes sense, leading me to believe that the stock was refinished during rebuild. If thats the case, then the rifle was likely in use by the Nazis during the war. I'll try to get more pictures of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But, I thought it should be an FN Made K98 Bolt???
I notice that word "Matching" is a Pretty "loose" translation.....
Hard to say if it was ever assembled as a Model 1930, so who knows if it ever had a FN bolt. Not really that "loose" if you were the East Germans, it simply has a replacement bolt that has been marked to match the rifle.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
ismith,

I like it. I don't believe that it is anything but a FrankenMauser. I, personally, don't see anything that indicates Nazi usage or East German usage but rather a collection of parts assembled into a usable rifle. I still like it.

Didn't SARCO sell some of these at tone time?

Vlad

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like it too, been looking for a nice FN logo rifle for awhile! Not many that aren't pitted to hell from years of hard use in China. It is imported marked to an outfit in Michigan, I'll get more, better pics today. IMHO I don't see how this rifle could have come from any source other than East Germany. I could maybe see it being rebuilt for export but not assembled from parts here in the states.

·
Banned
1,475 Posts
I have run into small numbers of your and similar type frankenmausers which appear to be normal 98ks until closely examined. Some at least may date from WW2 as I saw a few odd types not long after the war ended and a good 98k was worth $10-15. I passed on most, but kept a few of the more interesting ones. I have generally considered them to be built or rebuilt by the Germans from chance parts to increase their stock of 98ks. Others are most likely reenactment guns or "fakes". Whatever the actual origin, they can be very interesting. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.