Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has Czech made East German 7.62x54mm ammo on MN strippers (headstamp zv 59) in both blue and cardboard/yellow boxes of 10 rds for $5

How is this ammo and how is this price?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Sounds like great collector ammo, but I do remember that the one of the rounds that Century had held from sale due to HIGH pressure issues was Czech 50s date 7.62x54R with German labels. This was testing done by H P White. Century had pressure signs beyond the "Sticky Bolt" when they did some casual shooting in Vermont.

I would buy a box or two to test or collect but with so much GOOD surplus around in this caliber, I would pass on it for shooting.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
The ammo is Czech produced for the DDR and reboxed. I've heard the same thing about it causing pressure issues in some rifles.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I bought some of this at the old Great Western Gun show in the nineties. It is the MOTHER of sticky bolt ammo!!! Every rifle, MN, or Tok you shoot it out of a guarantee of sticky, and I mean mallet using open bolt sticky! I only bought maybe 10 boxes, and in those days they were probably 2.00 a box, and didn;t have the clips on them. All goes bang, and gets stuck!!!!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm traveling so I'm limited to 5 lbs in my suitcase and if this was a deal i'd try to negotiate the case and UPS it home, but I'll pass. Not worth the hassle for me.

That said, think about the historical aspect of the ammo... made by a country that no longer exists for another country that no longer exists, both members of a huge pact that no longer exists. Wow.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I'm traveling so I'm limited to 5 lbs in my suitcase and if this was a deal i'd try to negotiate the case and UPS it home, but I'll pass. Not worth the hassle for me.

That said, think about the historical aspect of the ammo... made by a country that no longer exists for another country that no longer exists, both members of a huge pact that no longer exists. Wow.
And the REAL SIGNIFICANCE of all this?

Warehouse after warehouse full of cheap, surplus 7.62x54R ammunition! That is what makes me happy about the dissolution of the ComBloc!

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I would almost pay that just to get a pair of known to be original and presumedly good working strippers, not the common repro junk that ties up when you put them in the rifle.

Let alone the ammunition. If the ammo doesn't pan out as any good, I would use the pulled bullets in my 7.7 Arisaka or in my .303's.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right Ron but I'm not that advanced in to reloading and I have plenty of Izhevsk strippers.

If anyone wants it, it's in Nimrod Haven in Wilkes Barre PA

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
No, the box you show is excellent Russian made ammo for E.Germany. It is heavy ball, lead core non magnetic copper jacketed. I have shot a little out of my PSL, and it gave xlnt results. Many don't like shooting heavy ball out of a PSL, though. This is primo ammo that Tenn.Guns used to sell years ago. The stuff in the blue box w/ the clips is regular steel core ball ammo that is really rough on just about any gun you put it through.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have 2 boxes that are similar to what is mentioned, neither have stripper clips. Both are the same in size and shape as Czech silvertip, one says " 20 Stuck, 7,62 Patronen, mit schwerem Geschoss" , headstamp is AZ and 58. The other says " 7,62 Tz" tbpl/Fe ". The second has a headstamp of bxn and 56. I presume they are both heavy ball. The bullets appear to be the same, and " mit schwerem Geschoss " translates ( roughly ) to heavy ball.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have 2 boxes that are similar to what is mentioned, neither have stripper clips. Both are the same in size and shape as Czech silvertip, one says " 20 Stuck, 7,62 Patronen, mit schwerem Geschoss" , headstamp is AZ and 58. The other says " 7,62 Tz" tbpl/Fe ". The second has a headstamp of bxn and 56. I presume they are both heavy ball. The bullets appear to be the same, and " mit schwerem Geschoss " translates ( roughly ) to heavy ball.

The headstamp shoud be "zv 58". The "Tz" is an abbreviation for "Tezkou" (or something similarly spelled) meaning "heavy" in Czech. This is steel cored, heavy ball with a long bullet.

DD

·
Registered
849 Posts
Most of the Czech 7.62x54r heavy ball is of the "Tz" steel core type. They did make a lead core "D" heavy, essentially a copy of the Soviet type, right down to the yellow tip. With Czech 7.62x54r ball it has been my experience that if there is no tip color, then it is steel core heavy. Their "D" and "LPS" analogues have the normal yellow and silver tips respectively... Primer color seems to have no significance...

DD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.