Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
4,629 Posts
Hydroponics...

This is pretty close to hydroponic gardening. At the very least it keeps native soil parasites, like nematodes and some of the fungi, under control if you sterilize your soil (I use a 55 gallon drum to get the heat up in the 165-170 degree range, with a charcoal fire underneath it.) It sounds like Instructables has given out another set of handy plans. They're good about that.

My hydroponic experiments fell afoul of the local deer population.... Of course, the deer population ran afoul of wa tosh....

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
earth box

Stock em with earthworms. the soil will be richer and you have fish bait. Grits and bluegills. Nothing better.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you don't need large quantities of things this seems like a low maintenance option. it would be easy to put some netting around and keep it insect free. the warden likes the idea because she wouldn't have to get her feet dirty tending to it. plus by keeping it in the patio the dogs wouldn't piss on it.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
if you don't need large quantities of things this seems like a low maintenance option. it would be easy to put some netting around and keep it insect free. the warden likes the idea because she wouldn't have to get her feet dirty tending to it. plus by keeping it in the patio the dogs wouldn't piss on it.

Your going to need some insects for polination

http://pollinator.com/bycrop.htm

·
Diamond Bullet Member
10,291 Posts
Your going to need some insects for polination

http://pollinator.com/bycrop.htm
I know people with rooftop and other type gardens in urban centers and pollinators haven't been much of an issue. Bees and the like get around pretty well even in heavily urbanized centers. Of course the mild climate and large amount of open space in my area may facilitate this.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Never having much luck with my 'maters, as the dog wanted to water them and the wildlife wanted to eat them...
Wallyworld had a bunch of large styrofoam pot liners on sale at 50 cents each last spring so I brought home a half dozen.
Filled with potting soil sprinkled liberally with Miracle Grow.
Hut Depot has 1/4" tubing and sprinkler system supplies pretty cheap and except for the timer, a few bucks is all it takes to create an automatic watering system.
Up to my eyeballs in tomatoes all summer and the dog really liked peeing on the side of them.
The peppers have to go the same route this year...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i am thinking about building a few of these to grow peppers, herbs etc. in. i already have everything so it will only cost me some potting soil and time. was thinking it would be something i could grow in the patio right outside the door. have any of you guys tried something like this?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-your-own-Earth-Box/
The wife has one out in her garden and loves it......maybe more than me...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.