Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Early T99 short rifles 7/07 by 03man

Who has early, i.e. 2K or lower T99 rifles in the no series from Nagoya and 20th series from Kokura?

Does your rifle have the 'barrel support/handguard retainer' under the lower band? This is the 'U' shaped piece of metal that you see under the lower band on the T38 rifles and carbines, the handguard is notched to fit over this piece. It is also seen on the T99 long rifle.

Please report your serial numbers and this feature.

I have a Nagoya no series 2033, it has no barrel support; but no early 20 series rifle.

A 2 digit serial number Kokura 20th has been reported with this feature.

Who else has one?

03man
---------------------------------------------

ken_hable Posted - 07/29/2007

I've got a no series Nagoya serial #285. It has no barrel support. It does have the large loop sling swivel and early style front sight ears. Ken

baby10k

Mike Rockhill Posted - 07/29/2007

A suggestion to confirm some sort of originality would be to take apart a 99 long with the support and compare it with one from a type 38. Hopefully there is a difference in its measurements from the 38s.

arisakadogs Posted - 07/29/2007

So, are we gonna be turning staked screws in this quest? Be warned - some of those band screws are staked pretty hard.

03man Posted - 07/29/2007

Adogs,
not if you don't want to. I have a Nagoya 99 long that is staked and will stay that way; others may already have been turned. Use your own judgement.

Mike,
The barrel support on my TK 99 long is different from the milled T 38 support, i.e. the ears are thin, about 1/3 the thickness of the 38 type and do not extend down into the stock only up into the hand guard. I have not had it apart to see if it is identical to the similar thickness late stamped barrel support on the Nagoya carbines though.

Ken,
thanks for looking.

03man
----------------------------------------------

Mike Rockhill Posted - 07/29/2007

I probably should have taken a later rifle apart for a type 38, but this is my shooter, its a later tokyo. I also took apart my nagoya 99 long, no sling no longer staked. so here are the pics of my findings. the support on the left is the 99 long and the right is the 99. The 38 is machined and the 99 stamped. the 38 is wider, but the 99 is thicker in the bow. The 99 is taller. Neither is maker marked, but the 99 is marked "1" on the on the underside of the ear, and may refer to a specific size, to find the proper fit. I was unable to get a pic of the number.

So that's what a "saddle shoe" looks like!

bambach Posted - 07/29/2007

I have Nagoya No Series S/N 229 and S/N 51355 neither one has the barrel support/handguard retainer. Cav rear sling swivel on the early one.

03man Posted - 07/29/2007

Mike,
thanks for doing the work on the barrel support/saddle shoe!

Bambach,
thanks for looking.

03man

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bambach

Cav rear sling swivel on the early one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw that!

-----------------
http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=239172

·
Gold Bullet member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 20th series T-99 serial number 14, probably the 2 digit rifle you noted, which is made for the barrel support/bushing. The support was lost by an earlier owner so don't know if it was a machined type or the formed sheet metal type used on the Nagoya T-99 long rifle. The formed sheet metal type support was also used in later series T-38 rifles. I have only seen the machined type support on Kokura T-38s. Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.