Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow collectors. HELP!!!

I am in the beginning process of writing a book on early SMLE Conversions, aka SMLE ConD II and its descendants. I am also toying with the idea of adding or making a book on all early SMLE’s. Unfortunately, I do not own every model. Yes, it is depressing not having them all.

I need photographic help with those pieces I do not have pictures of yet. If you have one of the rifles listed and are willing to take glamour photos of it please contact me. I need, in no particular order:

-SMLE ConD II***

-.22 Short Rifle Mk III converted by BSA

-Any weird/non-standard SMLE ConD II conversion ( have SMLE Mk I receiver and LMC receiver conversions already)

-Anyone have a Enfield converted 1906 dated ConD II or II*??? (have ’04, ’05, ’07) Have yet to confirm they were made in Enfield in ’06, Sparkbrook did.

-SMLE Mk I** British Naval conversion,(** no IP aka Ishapore conversions please**)

-SMLE Mk I*** British Naval conversion with SMLE Mk III charger bridge but still having SMLE Mk I furniture

-A very good plus or better Cond II* butt cartouche, have plenty of “II” but the “II*” I have is very weak

-Commercial SMLE Mk I/I*

-Any pictures of early SMLE’s in action, but they need to be LARGE files in order to print.

If you are not interested in taking photo’s I would be pleased to purchase any or all of the above!! Shameless I know.

Lance

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Greetings fellow collectors. HELP!!!

I am in the beginning process of writing a book on early SMLE Conversions, aka SMLE ConD II and its descendants. I am also toying with the idea of adding or making a book on all early SMLE’s. Unfortunately, I do not own every model. Yes, it is depressing not having them all.

I need photographic help with those pieces I do not have pictures of yet. If you have one of the rifles listed and are willing to take glamour photos of it please contact me. I need, in no particular order:

-SMLE ConD II***

-.22 Short Rifle Mk III converted by BSA

-Any weird/non-standard SMLE ConD II conversion ( have SMLE Mk I receiver and LMC receiver conversions already)

-Anyone have a Enfield converted 1906 dated ConD II or II*??? (have ’04, ’05, ’07) Have yet to confirm they were made in Enfield in ’06, Sparkbrook did.

-SMLE Mk I** British Naval conversion,(** no IP aka Ishapore conversions please**)

-SMLE Mk I*** British Naval conversion with SMLE Mk III charger bridge but still having SMLE Mk I furniture

-A very good plus or better Cond II* butt cartouche, have plenty of “II” but the “II*” I have is very weak

-Commercial SMLE Mk I/I*

-Any pictures of early SMLE’s in action, but they need to be LARGE files in order to print.

If you are not interested in taking photo’s I would be pleased to purchase any or all of the above!! Shameless I know.

Lance
Sorry, can’t help with any of those examples, but I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts. ConD II’s, another favourite rifle of mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lance, there is another variation that is worth a mention. There were a bunch of receivers made at Enfield that had the integral charger loading nib on the LHS of the receiver as per the usual SMLE Mk.I, but the long rear trigger guard screw as per the MLM Mk.II and MLEs. The origins of these receivers is hard to work out from the available references, but may have been SMLE trials receivers?

They are pretty obvious when you find them. They have no markings at all on the RHS of the butt socket, and ENFIELD 1905 COND II markings on the LHS. As you can see, this one was concerted again to Patt 14 No.1 by AGP

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I have a similar one in my collection, also a 1905 conversion, but it ended up at Enfield later in its life to be converted to a .22 Short Mk III. I have never checked the rear trigger guard screw length. Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.