Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you experts can help me identify this SKS. I believe it to be an early one but it's had late modifications to it, probably to import it. Serial number 111508 and importer N.A. which I believe is Navy Arms. There's no bayonet lug but it has an odd round sleeve behind the front sight. When I bought it, it had a bipod in this location which I took off and installed it instead on my long barrel NHM-91 AK. The stock is not numbered and the bayonet slot has been filled. The last 5 digits of the serial number are on the usual places, rear housing, trigger guard, magazine, bolt, etc. It has a threaded in barrel. It has the same dovetail style scope mount as on my little 16" "Cowboy Companion" I bought in the 1990's. I've done some research on the early models but I'll wait until those of you with more SKS knowledge chime in to see if I'm anywhere close.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Frank, thank you for that information. Looks like I'll have to put the bipod back on it. Damn, just when that bipod was looking good on my 21" AK. I have the Navy Arms "Cowboy Companion" but had no idea about the "Farmers Friend" model or had long since forgot about it. It appears to be somewhat rare in that only 720 of them were made and my #508 is in that lot of numbers.
These rifles are from a dedicated serial number block. The serial numbers all start with 111.

Farmers Friend serial numbers.
1110XX
1117XX,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A total of approximately 720 rifles.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
More pictures of the barrel area near the rear sight block.
The gas block etc.

Likely mid 1960's production on the receiver.

But the modifications and the stock perhaps in the mid 1980's as it was reworked as a US import.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,944 Posts
This is a rather unique phenomenon, as there is a dedicated factory, and dedicated serial number pattern and range. I am not sure that these can be dated by the same method. And with the receivers scrubbed and then re-stamped, it clouds the dating process even further.

It can be determined when the guns were imported, if someone can apply a date to a Navy Arms ad.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,944 Posts
Pretty good site...

Yes, that is a good site for dating the usual Chinese SKS. But as mentioned in post #8, there are many factors which exclude this gun from the usual dating practice.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,306 Posts
Definitely another odd one. Since it has the "Type 56" Hanzi I'd assume this is a recycled military Type 56 receiver or a batch of Type 56s all from Factory 106 that were used for this commercial conversion. 106 did start producing the Type 56 in the 11th year, 1966, but they used the year and five digit serial number format (7 digits total), so this numbering scheme is inconsistent with the observed format.

I'd be hesitant to determine the total numbers made based on just two serial numbers (post # 3) but undoubtedly there weren't many.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely another odd one. Since it has the "Type 56" Hanzi I'd assume this is a recycled military Type 56 receiver or a batch of Type 56s all from Factory 106 that were used for this commercial conversion. 106 did start producing the Type 56 in the 11th year, 1966, but they used the year and five digit serial number format (7 digits total), so this numbering scheme is inconsistent with the observed format.

I'd be hesitant to determine the total numbers made based on just two serial numbers (post # 3) but undoubtedly there weren't many.
I took those figures from the article concerning the Farmer's Friend model on this site.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay I took the bipod off of my NHM-91 AK to put back on the Farmer's Friend SKS. Now I need to find a similar bipod for the 21" NHM-91, any suggestions? Also, I took this little scope and mount off of my 16" Cowboy's Companion thinking that the base was the same as the Farmer's Friend but it is not. Odd considering both these Navy Arms SKS were from the same era and both had the little dovetail style base on the left side of the receiver. This mount wouldn't even begin to slide on.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,306 Posts
I took those figures from the article concerning the Farmer's Friend model on this site.

Right. I still think the extrapolation is a leap. It could be correct but I’d say it’s just a guess based on very limited data.

In any case, congratulations on having a fairly rare piece.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Scopes can be tough for the Farmers friend, took me 6 years to locate a scope and mount for mine which were lost by the original owner. I went to an estate auction around 2015 and ended up getting 2 of the scopes that were mixed into a box lot of assorted scopes. They do show up but they are like hens teeth,.......

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
I was just surprised the scope mount from my Cowboy's Companion was different from the Farmer's Friend model.
The eye relief for that small scope would be way off in any case.

The optics rail on the FF is set much further forward to accommodate the longer scope body of the scoped used on that model.
As shown in the links to the FF.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.