Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this Sestroretsk M91 a couple of years ago in an estate sale. From the markings, I was able to deduce the following:

Made at Sestroretsk in 1896, SA marking indicating Finnish ownership, Finnish finger-mortaised stock, AZF Austrian capture mark, "D" mark indicating chambering.

Conditionally, the stock is in good shape, except for the gouge/scratch noted in the stock. I have not refinished it, and when I got it, the bore was a sewerpipe of rust from improper cleaning or no cleaning. The bore now has strong rifling, but has minor pitting for the entire barrel length. The photos seem to make it seem that there's more bluing intact than there really is.

I have shot the rifle once and the point of impact I wrote down on the hang tag was "God knows where", but If I recall correctly, that comes out to about 3' high at 200 yards.

I almost hate to ask what it's worth, but I really don't know. When I bought the lot of rifles, 8 Mosins (I think it's 6 M91 and two Dragoon, but I forget) and two No1 MKIII Enfields, it ended up averaging $75 a rifle several years back. I know it must be $150 or higher, or at least that's the guess. How rare is this rifle?

Should I post the others over the next couple months for people to see? They range from 1894 to the '30's

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gauging internet prices I would put a value of your Sesty in the $350-$400 dollar range. I'm still looking for one to fill a hole in my collection. Yes, please post the others, we all like pic's here!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Internet auction prices are high for Sestroryetsk(sp) M91's, but the accurate bore description could very well keep the price down. I have noticed numerous M91's sell(not necessarilly Sestroryetsk) sell between 175.00 and 275.00.

I would also like to see what else ya found years ago.

Pahtu.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.