Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photos show the early Russian 7,62mm cartridges with the 210 gr cupro
nickel bullet, In 1908, the Russians adopted the spitzer 147 gr bullet but
converting the weapons with new sights took longer then expected.

The wooded bullet is St Petersburg type 11 dated 97, not common to find

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you ! I have on the hunt for a pre-1920, a 1908/9 spitzer transition period and a 1891-1908 round nose for quite some time. The chase is a fun part of it. I would definitely love to see others as well when you have them.
Question for you sir for the 19. Where bullet is seated at case is it neck crimped as well as the stab crimp? How many stab crimps does it have 2 or 3?
So 2 stabs were in place from 1891-1895 which they moved to the 3 stab crimps, at 1908 area neck crimps were put in and later in WW1 that would a little bit of both depending on factory. Might be eliminate some suspected , why, wheres and when's.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ! I have on the hunt for a pre-1920, a 1908/9 spitzer transition period and a 1891-1908 round nose for quite some time. The chase is a fun part of it. I would definitely love to see others as well when you have them.
Question for you sir for the 19. Where bullet is seated at case is it neck crimped as well as the stab crimp? How many stab crimps does it have 2 or 3?
So 2 stabs were in place from 1891-1895 which they moved to the 3 stab crimps, at 1908 area neck crimps were put in and later in WW1 that would a little bit of both depending on factory. Might be eliminate some suspected , why, wheres and when's.
None of the cartridges (04, 05, 06, 08 and 19 dated) appear to be neck crimped, all have two stab punches none have three stubs. These five cartridges
are all that I have plus the training cartridge with wooden bullet which is 97 dated

·
Registered
54 Posts

How fascinating . I suppose my timeline was a little off but I will return with more accurate info.i will show some of my special ones from my check list later.

In no way was I insinuating a handout or fishing for a offer. Those babies are yours and my hunt is and will always be on for what I enjoy so much. I have been hunting for all types some more than others. Sometimes the search is more rewarding than the bounty (sometimes).All things great come in due time. My 54r and 39 drawer's.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 3804926 View attachment 3804942
How fascinating . I suppose my timeline was a little off but I will return with more accurate info.i will show some of my special ones from my check list later.

In no way was I insinuating a handout or fishing for a offer. Those babies are yours and my hunt is and will always be on for what I enjoy so much. I have been hunting for all types some more than others. Sometimes the search is more rewarding than the bounty (sometimes).All things great come in due time. My 54r and 39 drawer's.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really nice collection you have posted, have you seen any pre WW1 headstamps with spitzer bullets ?

It was my understanding that it took a very long time for the Russians then Soviets to convert their
weapons with improved sights for the new spitzer bullets and therefore they also continued manufacture
of the old 1991 round nose bulle of 210 grs. I did find a TULA 10 headstamp cartridge also round
nose 210gr bullet and two stab punches

The training or dummy is not common to find either. RS

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sir, exactly as you mentioned to get all factories on same page definitely had push back as machines to be modified and materials to be brought up to New specs. Just as in the 1908 transition to the spitzer bullet which was similar to a .303 projectile , changed again in early teen's with a smaller ogive , narrower bullet. Not all goes as the big dogs want.
That training cartridge is definitely on the not easily to find category. Definitely a good one !
Can I pm you for tidbit?

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
Early AP cartridge designed by Kutovoy, 1916:

Reactions: Ponder_Md

·
Registered
54 Posts

Top to bottom, left to right
1)Non laquered case heavyball 60/38
2)B30 armor piercing 3B/37
3)PZ explosive 3B/40/3
4)Proof W.R.A.CO
5)E. German training blank
6) Factory trainer HBSC 21/69
7) Factory " " HBSC 21/77
8) Suspected Sniper ? HB 3B/30

Btm row

9) All green case & Blt subsonic543/42 10) Same
11) Same
12) Same
13) Previous Post brother AP N/16
14)" " " " " "
15)Blackened Blt Neck double crimp
Training dummy N/14
16) " same as above "

I did veer a little off course but a couple of my younger carts are somewhat obscure.

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
A humble blank cartridge from WW1 with original clip from the same period:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.