Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've recently purchased a Swedish M40 and have been on a crash course in learning more about what it is I have. I've been aware of the Lahti for quite a while but just now started to get an appreciate and serious interest. Here is what I think I know about this particular gun, hoping for confirmation and/or correction:
  1. Swedish military production
  2. Serial is 755. Matching on slide, frame and bolt
  3. 43rd weapon issued to the Roslagen Air Corps as indicated by the "F.3" over 43
  4. Manufactured in 1942?
  5. Early stepped front sight
  6. No barrel nut where it attached to the frame
  7. Has the slide accelerator
  8. Originally had the cartridge indicator that was recalled and ground down? Not sure about this as the grind marks encompass the entire top of the slide and not just where the indicator would have been. However, you can see from the picture where it was there..
  9. Proofed by Sture Stenmo ("SS' under crown)
  10. Frame is not indicative of the 1st variation as the trigger guard is the larger and thicker type
So summing up, as it appears to have aspects reminiscent of a 1st variation, perhaps it went through a rebuild that kept some of the old with some of the new? Or could it be a early-ish production during transition?

Thanks!
- Jason

References:
First Variation Information: The Swedish pistol m/1940 - Husqvarna and Lathi V35
Regimental Markings : The Husqvarna M 40 Pistol
Roslagen Air Corps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen_Air_Corps

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Material property

Trigger Auto part Metal Gun accessory Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Looks nice - congrats - the only thing that sticks out is that you have an early version slide with a late version trigger guard - are there any other markings on the pistol?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,347 Posts
S. S. = Sten Waldemar Stenmo , inspector 1 Oct. 1942 to 31 March 1946 .

I like it !!!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are crown proofs on the front sight, slide and barrel. No other markings on the frame. Barrel also has small century import mark on the underside.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Since you have the early version slide I would suggest inspection for cracks as mentioned in the link you have included - just to be safe - love the red grips/side plates

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
You have a very nice example of the M40 Swedish pistol. I have two of them with consecutive serial numbers. My pistols have the hex head flange where the barrel abuts on to the receiver. I've never seen the non-hex flange that appears in your photos at this location. Congrats. on your good looking pistol. Yes I like the red grip panels too.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Always liked those. Has that Luger-look, with the whole nordic ski troopers vibe schussing in background.

Painting Art Working animal Snow Water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts