Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across what appears to be an almost new looking M1905 style bayonet that came from a WW2 collection originally put together by a relative in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It is blued with smooth grips. The only marking is "USA". This makes me wonder if reproductions were made this soon after WW2. It appears to be very well made. I have searched the internet trying to find out why this item was part of a collection of all authentic items. I might arrange for a picture as these items were handed down to my son. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd doubt it was a replica made that early.
People don't understand just how much WWII surplus there was in those days. Even the smallest town had at least one surplus store literally bulging with surplus in new to like new condition.

US bayonets of all types were readily available and cheap.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same in Australia.

I remember surplus stores in Sydney with Australian/British 1907's lined up in the store windows for 10 shillings and six pence ($1.05) each.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
I came across what appears to be an almost new looking M1905 style bayonet that came from a WW2 collection originally put together by a relative in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It is blued with smooth grips. The only marking is "USA". This makes me wonder if reproductions were made this soon after WW2. It appears to be very well made. I have searched the internet trying to find out why this item was part of a collection of all authentic items. I might arrange for a picture as these items were handed down to my son. Any thoughts?
A picture is a necessity; without one, my guess is a commercial made piece, post WWII from blades on hand. Several mfgs. did this for some years after the war ended and military contracts dried up. Does it have the bayonet slot and latch; they frequently don't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe its' complete w/ latch. Thanks to all who replied. This is the best forum on the net! This was my first post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts