Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in Czech pistols for some time and have picked up and shot a number of them. I have looked for an early model CZ-75 with the high polish blue and the "three quarter" slide rail, and recently acquired one "as new in box" with all the papers. It is a '78 proofed pistol, with the Czech lion proofs on the right side of the slide and right trigger guard.

There is a mark on the left trigger guard that looks like a "W" with another "W" stacked on top of it. The second "W" has what looks like a "T" coming out of the middle of it, with a shorter horizontal bar below the longer top bar on the "T". I believe I have seen a mark like this before, but can not remember where or on what type firearm.

The pistol came with an instruction book in multiple languages, the only other clue is that there is a leaflet in the box with a picture of a CZ-75 marked PISTOLE 9mm PARABELLUM MERKURIA (who I think was the Czech export agency), and the back of the leaflet has a description of the pistol and technical data (Technische Daten der Pistole CZ, Muster 75, Kaliber 9mm Parabellum", which looks to me like German.

Could the W/W/T mark be that of a German importer or ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Tejas Juan

·
Registered
971 Posts
While living in Germany in the 80s, I bought a few guns which I brought back to the US after getting the BATF import permit. One was a CZ75 (made in 1985) and the other was a Browning Model 1886 Rifle. Without having them in front of me at the very moment, I know that they have the marks you mentioned. The marks indicate they were brought into Germany by a company called Frankonia located in Wurzburg. My gunsmith friend (from whom I bought these guns) dealt with Frankonia and it was he who told me the meaning of the stamp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jaegermeister. I "googled" Frankonia Waffen and found a link to the "CZ Forums" with a 2008 posting that shows a CZ-75 (the 1980's model) with the exact marking on the left trigger guard. So, this pistol found its way to the US via Germany. Always something to learn in this field.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to admit that is the one that Simpson had. They posted it Tuesday, I did not see it until Wednesday and fell all over myself getting out the cell phone and the credit card. It is as described, with all the papers, and both magazines have the last 3 digits of the s/n etched on them. Have looked for one for some time at a reasonable price and this was it. Guess I got lucky.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If there are no import stamps on the pistol, it probably made its way to the US via a soldier purchase from the Rod and Gun club system on many military bases in Germany. That's how I got my CZ 75, Broomhandle mauser and a nice police marked luger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts