Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that there has been quite a bit of Garand talk going around recently and I thought I would share some pics of the one I picked up a couple of years ago. I traded a Century arms recievered M1, which I had about 350$ and 100$ for it. The serial # is 50,280 and was made in June of 1940. The barrel is new and I believe an aftermarket, it was made by Arlington ord. in Arlington VA. From what I have seen going around lately I dont think I did to bad. Thanks for looking

·
Registered
73 Posts
milspec,

Nice M1....

Re Arlington Ord, VA.... they are an importer who brought a lot of M1's in here from Korea way back in the 80's and early 90's, IIRC. They didn't make barrels. If you are seeing their name stamped on the barrel up in front of the handguard it's because that's the required by law import stamp.

The maker of the barrel should be marked behind the op-rod. Rack the bolt open and look in the "window" that the op-rod opens up on the right side of the barrel for the barrel info.....

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
$350 fron to back and the guy who timed it and installed the barrel offered me $350 for the barrel + another new barrel. Still don't know why he would want the older barrel.

It's a '41 or '42 receiver. About the time my Mom started working at Springfield.

Nice M1 you have there. Have you used it yet?

Cheers
MJ

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Arlington Ord. Arlington VA. 30.06 mark is where the usual barrel marking would be.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Original early M1 Garand barrels are very collectible to those who want to restore a M1 rifle back to its original issue. Especially if the barrrel date coresponds to the receiver. I believe your rifle was originally issued as a Gas Trap M1. Which if it had the gas trap gas cylinder it would be worth a considerable amount.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
July 1940 Rifle

I have a July 1940 rifle, s/n is in the 48 thousand number range, receiver is a dark color and shows use and not annealed. Barrel is dated S-A 7-40, op rod is revision 1 SA and the sights are early. The stock cartouche is worn and very faint and this stock has the no-trap buttplate.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"Original early M1 Garand barrels are very collectible to those who want to restore a M1 rifle back to its original issue. Especially if the barrrel date coresponds to the receiver. I believe your rifle was originally issued as a Gas Trap M1. Which if it had the gas trap gas cylinder it would be worth a considerable amount."

An original gas trap cylinder would indeed be worth a lot of money-at least 3 or 4 thousand dollars. However if the rifle was converted to a gas port M-1 it will not be fitted with a gas trap gas cylinder-it will have a gas port gas cylinder.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gas trap/gas port?

I've an early un-screwed with Garand also but don't the diff. between a
gas port and a :confused:gas trap. Anyone got a photo of the two??

Thanks,
Chloe

·
Registered
992 Posts
Arlington did rebarrel some M1's that they imported with new commercial Citidel barrels. They charged extra for it if I remember right, well worth it considering how bad %99 of the original bbl's were in their imports....

Generally the Korean M1's Arlington imported were the " bottom of the barrel " condition wise.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
early and late gas systems on M1 Rifles

The gas trap cylinder screwed on to the 22 inch barrel, the front sight locked the cylinder by a single spline on top of the barrel. The plug in front of the cylinder was like a false muzzle.

The later spline type gas cylinder was held on the barrel by three splines on the 24 inch barrel and the lock and screw.

Both gas trap and spline type barrels (often called gas port barrels) were both in production until Aug 1940. The first spline type barrel is dated S-A 6-40, gas trap barrels were not dated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts