Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I picked up a 1923 Izhersk Dragoon {thank you John} with no matching numbers {bolt, receiver, floor plate} No import marks, no s/s {sign or symptom} of Finn alterations or markings. Stock had been sanded and refinished, but the metal is in pretty good shape. Question is, this came with a non matching bolt that was "blackened". The entire bolt is blackened which I have not seen before. Being that this rifle had not been to Finland {sights unaltered, no SA} Would this blackened bolt have significance to the orgin before import. I know the term "Balkan" is not very descriptive and all that. Just wondering if the blackened bolt was common anywhere in paticular. It came with a brass "ended" 91/30 handguard and button bands. Any ideas?

This is my only Dragoon and I do not know much about them. The two posts below describing the Dragoons there made me think of this again. I thought I had another blackened bolt but checked my non Finns and couldn't find it. I sure hope I didn't already ask this question and forgot already? A few beers and a long day........well you understand I hope. Any ideas?

Cheers, John.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This American Bubba, does he have an address? I have been wanting to talk to him about what he did to the stock too! Sure hope my shooting buddies didn't do this as a mean spirited joke.

Cheers, John.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts
SCW? If not, there could be a very small importer stamp on the left side of the bridge. I have a `29 Tula dragoon with said stamp that is so small, I need a magnifying glass to read it (FED ORD INC. EL MONTE CA). Mine came with solid bands, konovalov sight, barleycorn front sight and an 1891/10 infantry length handguard.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the cocking knob on my 1927 izhvesk dragoon is blackened , after reading about your import stamp,i checked mine over with a magnifying glass, and theres no import marks, but on the right side receiver flat has a k in a triangle and a a looking stamp (both about 1/16" high)

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
The blackened bolts have shown up on Finnish owned guns. I don't know why everyone thinks that Bubba did it. Also, there seems to be a trend as of late that if you can't explain it, it might be SCW. I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
mine doesnt have the flaming bomb stamp anywhere and wasnt stamped "made in ussr", so its not a scw

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blackened bolt looks like it has been this way for some time. Found no import marks after rechecking again. Stock was sanded when I got it and before the seller got it. Is a remenant of a Tula star cartouch and date below, but unreadable. Still no S/S of Finn work on it, but maybe the bolt color gives it a Finn background. Probably never know for sure.

As far as every rifle might be a SCW rifle, the same thing happened on internet with USMC rebuilt 03 Springfields. There are some very small give aways in workmanship that most people do not know about. Not every rebuilt USMC 03 had the thick front sights and reamed out rear apiture. For a while there every rifle got mentioned as a "possible USMC rebuild. It was getting old. Thanks for input guys. Cheers, John.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Regarding non import marked Mosins dated prior to WWII. The two most highly likely sources are Finland and Spanish Civil Guard. If you insist on guessing and you're going to arbirarily discount one of them, you're going to guess the other one. It is strange how the black/blue Mosin bolts seem to most frequently turn up on rifles with little to no way to say Finland or Spain. My guess is that they both did it.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
There was a large batch of these rifles with blued bolts that turned up on Gunbroker from a seller in Michigan and they all came in a lot that they bought from Finland. Some were not even SA marked, but came with slings and dog collars. Some of the slings had SA marks on them.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,029 Posts
There was a large batch of these rifles with blued bolts that turned up on Gunbroker from a seller in Michigan and they all came in a lot that they bought from Finland. Some were not even SA marked, but came with slings and dog collars. Some of the slings had SA marks on them.
Hey Sean,

Maybe it was a short term Finnish experiment in corrosion protection on bolts finished in the white. Not everything makes it into the books. Just like USMC M1903 characteristics. Brophy's book only mentions Marine sights. There are well over twenty Marine characteristics. Sure the same applies to every milsurp rifle that we collect. See it here almost everyday. Thanks for your info. I'd like to see a photo of one of those "Blackened" Finn bolts.

LB

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've got a non-import marked M38, non-refurb,with a blued bolt, no Finn or Spanish markings. The original owner claimed it to be a VN bringback (no papers of course). I'd theorize any number of countries may have done this, including the Finns, Soviet, Soviet Bloc, or Spain... We'll never know for sure. I'd sure like to think that was a Finn thing, but alas, it's all conjecture. BeSwift

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
my cocking knob is stamped with the old izhvesk seperated bow and arrow and is on my sa and winter war stamped 1927 dragoon. the guy i bought it from bought it from springfield sporters when they sold their gun section off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.