Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago, I found a dragoon stock that was dated 1895 and have held on to it for years. One of our board members mentioned wanting to sell an 1897 dated dragoon. Normally I don't switch stocks, but in this case I decided that it was as close as these two will get to being in their original pairing. I have the other stock and will keep it also with the rifle.
I don't know the history of the stock, but it did succeed in never having a recoil bolt installed. I doubt I will ever find a handguard that is correct, so it sits with the nice finn handguard that was with it.
It is amazing to hold a piece of history that is nearly 120 years old!

JMG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That is an odd stock. It seems that the finger relief cuts for rear barrel band removal and the sling slots too were added to it at a later date.

As for pairing this action and stock together, I'm sure others here will echo my sentiment that it might be OK to dress it up for pictures, but please don't store the rifle in that stock. I've see far too many "temporary" modifications become permanent because original parts were misplaced or lost. This stock, while quite interesting, also likely isn't "correct" for the rifle anyway as I've never seen a Finn'ed stock that was like it. "Correctizing" in reality is anything but what the name implies, and can absolutely ruin the pool of rifles in a field of collecting (see: US M1 rifles and carbines).

Great rifle though! I'm envious, I don't even own a single dragoon let alone a 1890's dated example.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not planning on keeping it that way, but thought that it would be a fitting example for picture. Sling slots are original to dragoons I believe,
Yes the finger relief cuts are interesting and I know not when it was updated nor by whom. The finish that is on it is probably original finish for the stock- it has a fairly clear roundel with 1895 stamped at the bottom. It appears to be a varnish of some type.
JMG

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
JMG,
I bought a real type two handguard for Dragoon off ebay recently. Was very expensive, but I have 1907 dated dragoon with replacement 91/30 handguard.
I will post pictures when I'll receive it.
Thank you,
Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.