Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a circa original 1963 AR built on a Brownells Retro receiver. Looks good, runs good.
Never really cared for the AR series but these days I guess you should have one.
Now I remember one reason I disliked them.
Am a left handed shooter. The early AR/M16 does not have the "bump" on right side.
Every now and again I get a hot case down the collar. Painful and not conductive to good marksmanship.
Is there a solution to this? Some attachment I can use to deflect hot brass from my collar bone ?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am also left handed and my best advice, which is what I have done, is learn to shoot right handed as well so you can be ambidextrous with it and shoot right handed those firearms that require it like your AR or many Bullpups, etc. Other than that, what @fjruple said.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Have a circa original 1963 AR built on a Brownells Retro receiver. Looks good, runs good.
Never really cared for the AR series but these days I guess you should have one.
Now I remember one reason I disliked them.
Am a left handed shooter. The early AR/M16 does not have the "bump" on right side.
Every now and again I get a hot case down the collar. Painful and not conductive to good marksmanship.
Is there a solution to this? Some attachment I can use to deflect hot brass from my collar bone ?
I am a left handed shooter and also need to be careful with ejection patterns. I'd really like to purchase one of Brownell's BRN-180 uppers; however, I've read these can eject hot brass on lefties. I wouldn't want an upper that doesn't have a shell deflector. You could buy a brass catcher--might be practical if you want to save your brass (while also saving your neck/face). There are brass deflectors that bolt onto your picatinny rail. If your upper has a built in carry handle, these obviously won't work.

As an aside, two things that are very important for me as a lefty are an ambi charging handle and an ambi mag release. I buy ambi safeties as well; however, I don't find it very difficult to use the safety on an AR in it's normal configuration.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for advice fellows.
This is an early pattern AR. No Picatinny rails here !
Will check out ebay for the G.I. brass deflector.
Part of the appeal of this rifle is the early configuration. Tiny charging handle, etc. I can shoot if rifle handed if circumstances require, but left hand is best for me.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,952 Posts
I shot left handed with the M14 in basic training in 1969. Stationed in the Panama Canal Zone we eventually traded in M14 for new early M16s made by GM Hydromatic Division (transmission manufacturer). It was in accurate but I did not have any problem shooting it left handed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
How much are you into the old school ARs? If you can live with a newfangled version, there are left handed uppers, and parts that make the guns ideal for lefties.

I'm left handed and I own two left handed uppered ARs. They're much nicer to shoot than adapting to a right hand eject AR.

Of course now the " you won't get anything for a left handed AR if you sell it" crowd will chime in....... If selling it was the only reason I built one, then I guess I'd have given that some consideration. However, I don't think about it because I don't sell guns, only buy them.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
If you insist on shooting the rifle left-handed without a deflector, be sure you button your shirt up all the way. Those hot ejected cases will unerringly find the gap in an unbuttoned shirt and give you some pretty uncomfortable burns wherever they choose to stop inside your shirt.

·
Banned
13,351 Posts
When I was a Unit Armorer back in 1986 I kept an ammo can full of these in the arms room. Would hand receipt one out to any lefties in the unit. IIRC they were ordered from TASC.

Plastic, just snapped in. Then later, when we sent off some A1s for rebuild, they would show up with the bump on the upper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts